𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐮𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐚

Start from the beginning

Astrid's smile widened, touched by his understanding and support. "Thank you, Rick," She murmured gratefully before walking down the hallway and outside.  The moon cast an eerie glow over the RV—and through the large vehicle's window, she could see Andrea, Carol, and Dale eating a warm dinner.  Astrid crossed the still and empty yard and climbed up the steps, entering the small walkway.

"Got any more scraps?" Astrid asked eagerly as three pairs of eyes turned in her direction.

Andrea laughed and scooted over on the bench. "Have a seat," She invited.

Astrid sat down and took an offered plate.  She ate in silence, appreciating the normalcy that exuded from the trio around her as they openly spoke of their lives before, remembering happier times.  Then, Carol's touch brought her back to the present moment, and she looked up to see the woman smiling at her. "Thank you for the flower," She whispered. "Daryl told me it was your idea."

As Astrid absorbed the sincerity in Carol's words and the warmth in her touch, she felt a swell building within her, as if a dam that had been holding back her feelings finally broke.  Astrid's eyes glistened with tears as she managed to smile, trying to express her own gratitude. The realization that Carol, perhaps, truly did not blame her for her daughter's disappearance and saw her as a valuable member of their group, contributing every morsel of her being to the search, touched her deeply.

The judgment and doubt Astrid had been carrying in the shadow of the Peletier mother slowly dissipated as Carol's gentle smile and understanding gaze gave Astrid the reassurance she needed. It was a subtle acknowledgment that her efforts were recognized and appreciated.

"We're going to find Sophia, and she's going be just fine," Astrid promised.  "I'll do whatever it takes to ensure that."

Their meal continued, and Astrid caught sight of the Cherokee Rose inside a beer bottle vase on the kitchen's opposite counter—a sure touch of Daryl's unique thoughtfulness.  She smiled at the gesture, knowing that even in the face of such dark times, there were moments of light and warmth to be cherished.

As Astrid, Carol, Andrea, and Dale continued to spend their evening together, even long after they had finished their meals, the Lancaster woman felt a sense of camaraderie amongst them—a feeling she had not yet felt amongst the group.  But time in itself was inescapable, and after what seemed like a mere fleeting moment, Astrid knew she had to retreat to her tent to gather her strength for the long day of searching planned ahead.  "I'm off to bed," Astrid announced, standing up.  "Have a good night, everyone."

"Night," They called after her. Dale closed the door behind her as she walked out, and Astrid found herself alone once more under the moon's pale glow.

The moon, now her only light, cast long shadows as she made her way toward her tent. A sense of isolation settled in Astrid's bones, accentuated by the unearthly silence around the RV. She reached the tent that she now shared with Andrea when suddenly, a choked sob shattered the stillness. Astrid's instincts kicked in, and she turned to the source of the sound.  Through the blackness of the night, she could see a small shadow hunched over in the bushes.

Astrid's breath was trapped in her lungs as she approached cautiously. Her eyes widened as she realized it was none other than Lori Grimes.  The woman hiding in the dark held something so fragile in her trembling hands.  A pregnancy test.

"Lori?" Astrid called gently, her hesitant gaze peeled on the small pink stick.  Lori wiped her tear-stained cheeks, mustering the courage to speak.

"Don't tell," She pleaded.

➸➸➸

ASTRID LANCASTER WAS SWORN to secrecy regarding Lori Grimes' pregnancy.  She did not like to do it, but she knew it was not her place to say otherwise.  If it was not her body, it was not her choice.