𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐮𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐫𝐚

Start from the beginning

"I'm feeling better.  But it still hurts a little," Carl said, his voice weak but determined.

"I can imagine," Astrid replied.  "You're one tough kid."  She looked at Lori and Rick across the bed, seeing the exhaustion and worry etched on their faces.  "How are you both?" She asked.

Rick scratched at the growing stubble on his pale chin, his weariness evident. "I'm exhausted," He admitted.

Lori gently rubbed her husband's shoulders, trying to offer some comfort. "You gave a lot of blood," She reminded him. "We are all tired and we should all try to get some rest. Have you had anything to eat, Astrid?"

Astrid shook her head as she immediately tried to downplay her own needs amidst the larger concerns that loomed over the group. "I'll get something later," She said.  She then glanced at Rick. "We might have a new lead on Sophia," She informed.

Rick's reaction was not immediate, but Carl's response was swift. "Dad, I thought you said that you found her," The young boy accused, frowning with disappointment.

Astrid frowned in confusion and looked back at his parents.  Lori no longer met her interrogating gaze and instead reached out to caress her son's cheek, whispering reassuring words into his ear as he began to softly weep.  Elsewhere, Rick stood up and walked over to Astrid, gesturing for her to follow him into the hallway away from the bedside.  The protests from Carl concerning Sophia's whereabouts continued in the background, even as Rick closed the door shut behind them.

Astrid crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the wall.  "You told him that Sophia had been found?" She repeated.

"He had just been shot, what else could I do?" Rick countered sharply. "He asked for her when he was bleeding out.  I said the one thing I thought would keep him alive. Would you have said anything different?"

The father's words hung heavily in the air.  The truth was, Astrid understood Rick's desperate attempt to give his son strength and keep him alive.  But would she have done the same to protect someone she cared about deeply?  Would she ever lie to her own child about a topic so severe and heart-breaking, knowing it truly could be the difference between life and death?  The answer was not clear-cut.  In the end, Astrid supposed that it was not about whether she would have said something different, but rather about the difficult choices they all had to make in order to keep those that they loved alive.

As Astrid looked back at Rick, she saw the pain in his eyes, and she knew that he carried the weight of the regrettable choice that came with lying to his son.  She did not need to add further to its load.

"No, Rick.  I understand," Astrid finally replied.  "You did what you had to do."  She hoped her words were a reassurance to Rick, an acknowledgment of the difficult choices he faced as a leader and a father.

Rick's shoulders sagged, and he exhaled a tired breath.  "What news did you have on Sophia?" He inquired, his attention shifting to the pressing matter at hand.

"Daryl and I found a house this afternoon that showed recent signs of a child hiding there. There was a little burrow of blankets in a closet and a freshly opened can of sardines that was only half-eaten. Daryl thinks that Sophia could have been there less than two days ago. If that's the case, she could still be in the surrounding area," Astrid informed. "We need to go out again tomorrow and see if we can find fresher tracks."

"We will.  In the morning, we'll organize proper search units on the map.  Organized regions," Rick decided. "But for now—tonight—I need to be with my son.  And you need to rest.  Go get something to eat."

"Will do." Astrid nodded, respecting the sheriff's decision. "Goodnight, Rick."

As Rick moved back towards the bedroom where his injured—and now grieving—son rested, he abruptly turned around to Astrid once more, catching her attention before she exited the hallway. "By the way . . . I know you took the gun," He told her.  The blatant confession made the Lancaster woman's cheeks burn in embarrassment, yet Rick's tired but warm smile ultimately put her at ease. "I'm not upset with you," He reassured. "I knew it was bound to happen—and I'm glad you took it to protect yourself.   Don't ever second guess your instincts.  Now you have a good night."