Chapter Four: Issues Revealed

"Babe, I set your tie on the dresser. I'm going to heat the food up for later." I yelled to Tre who was in the shower.

I was already dressed for church and wanted to put the food in the oven so it'd be hot for when we got home.

Sundays when Tre wasn't traveling for games or at practice, were dedicated to going to church.

We had this firm belief that if we kept Jesus in the center of our relationship, our marriage would always remain strong. We've been going strong for six years and I really hope God will bless us with many more.

I took the lasagna and macaroni I had prepared last night and the corn bread Tre baked last night and placed them in the double oven.

Don't let our professions fool you, my baby and I could do a little something something in the kitchen.

"Good Morning Dr. G!" A chirpy voice said.

"Damn it, Jojo can you walk a louder! You always catch me by surprise. " I said alarmed holding my chest. I swear this woman's feet were made of feathers.

"Child, you'll be fine. Is there anything you want me to do while you and your husband are at church? " Jojo asked.

"Well, I put the lasagna, the macaroni, and the corn bread in the oven so they'd be warm for Sunday dinner. So you could put the chicken and the rice in the other oven and I would really appreciate if you made some of your Caesar salad. And to set the table, I would have done it last night but Tre had other plans. " I blushed.

"Child, you ain't got to explain nothing to me. This is what you pay me for and I'd prefer you'd laying down the cookie for that fine husband of yours than arranging the dinner table. How do you think I've managed to be Mrs. Jojo Adams for the last twenty years. " Jojo jested.

"Oh my goodness, Jojo. " I blushed.

"I know you ain't acting shy now when you stare at vaginas for a living. "

"JOJO! I am backing out of this kitchen before you traumatize me any further. " I said covering my ears.

"You better! Go praise Jesus with that cute husband of yours!" Jojo said pointing her index finger at me like a mother scolding her child.

I walked out the kitchen and went upstairs. While walking to my bedroom, I laughed thinking about the things that came out Jojo's mouth.

I felt blessed to have her. Even though she is my employee, she feels like family.

I opened the door and saw Tre buttoning his shirt.

"Baby, you're going to need to hurry up. We're already late." I told him.

"Gab, Jesus will understand. We were late because I was fulfilling my matrimonial duties." He said while putting on this tie.

"You are such a heathen. " I said fixing his tie for him. He was taking too long for my liking.

"Then, what does that make you?" Tre quipped grabbing onto my amble behind.

"A very annoyed daughter who is not trying to hear her mother's mouth." I said giving his tie a final tug and removing his hands from my behind.

"Awe Gab, don't be like that!"

"Be like what Tre? Ever since you've been back, I've been appeasing to your wants trying to good wife." I said annoyed.

"I didn't realize being my wife was such a chore! As for bending over backwards, it's about damn time! How long have I been begging for a child, Gabriella?"

"That's not fair! I've already agreed to take time off to have kids!"

"That's exactly my point Gabby, everything has to be done on your time! I had to wait to make love to you, I had to wait to until your practice was stable to buy a house, i have to wait to have a child. And the one time i need some time you ready to scold me like you're my momma. My mom been gone 15 years and i ain't looking for another one."

"Look I'm sorry I had morals and wanted to wait until I was your wife to give myself fully to you. Maybe I should have gave it to you on the first date and opened my legs to some of your teammates too. Sorry for being hardworking and not wanting you to foot the bill for our very first home. As for having your child Tre, I wanted to make sure I wanted to have children with someone like you. "

"Someone like me? What the fuck is that suppose to mean? "

"A basketball player. You must think I'm stupid or naive Tre. I hear the rumors all the time about how you athletes hook up with groupies while you're on the road meanwhile y'all wives back home holding the fort for y'all disloyal niggas!"

"You accusing me of something Gabby? "

"All I'm saying is, I waited this long to have a child with you because I wanted the father of my children to be a truth worthy and loyal man."

"Gabby, we've been married for six years and for all this time you haven't trusted me. That's sick."

"I'm not saying that. Tre, I know what type of lifestyle you lived before you met me. I'm not stupid. Half of the dudes on your team have side chicks and the other half have had children with women that are not their wives while they were married. "

"But them niggas ain't me Gab!

"Look Tre I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or argue with you. " I said dismissively. Our conversation was going no where and we were no where near resolving the point I was trying to make.

"Nah, don't dismiss me. You here talking all kinds of crazy shit. Like I'm still tripping on the part where you said you haven't trusted me in the last six years. So what I'm trying to figure out is if you ain't trust me in so long, why the fuck are we still married? "

"You blowing this whole thing out of proportion Tre. All I asked of you, this morning, was to hurry up. We're already late and yes I am partly to blame. However, you are NOT the who is going to get a tongue lashing from my mother when we see her. She is not going to think we're both to blame for being late. She's putting that all on me. She thinks you can do no wrong while I am always the bad guy. "

"You know what? I need to clear my head, go to church without me."

"Tre! Every one is expecting you. You can't just not show up."

"Watch me." Tre said brushing past me leaving the room.

"Damn it! " I cursed throwing the decorative pillows off the bed and plopping my body on top of the once perfectly made bed.