Chapter 6: The Music Room, and Home Alone

Start from the beginning

"She makes everything in her life seem so overdramatic," he continues. "And, on top of that, she goes ahead and flaunts everything she knows. She has this morality issue, and she rubs it in everyone's face that she thinks completely differently than everyone."

"That sounds like Vriska," I respond, tuning the third string.

"Vriska's different," he says. "She's different because she's not as overbearing as Nebula, she flaunts her intelligence because she's always using it, and her morality issues... almost don't even exist, compared to Nebula. In fact, I doubt Nebula is her real name. It's just something to make her sound cooler than she actually is. And she's completely unmotivated. She won't do anything unless it benefits her directly, even then, she doesn't really want to do the thing, so she does a lazy ass job of it. At least Vriska has the decency to completely decline anything she doesn't want to do."

"Wow," I remark intelligently, looking at the girl socializing with the flute player. I actually can't believe someone can be that bad, or that emotionless. Someone that... sarcastic and snarky, but still seem human.

"Yep," John agrees, as I take out my guitar.

"Sorry I'm late," the music teacher announces, as she walks into the class. "Everyone, take out your instruments. Get ready to play."

~~

French is still boring and painful.

I walk home, John trailing with me. Apparently, Meulin and Nepeta are over at friends' houses, because they're not walking with us. Or maybe Nepeta has Sports Club or whatever. John waves goodbye to me, and I'm home alone.

I guess the obvious thing to do would have been to invite him in, but by the time I left the house again to call him back, he was already gone. I could invite Gamzee over, but chances were, he'd bring his drugs over, and then he'd smoke them, and my parents wouldn't ever let me out of the house again. And besides, as if I'd let smoke get anywhere near me while I have cancer. If I can help it, anyways. Sollux? Well, no, he wasn't at school today, so I guess that means that he can't come over... I don't really have a lot of friends... I guess Terezi could come over, but I'd be teased inappropriately by my mom. Or one of my sisters. Not like they were here now, but they could be, eventually. Tavros was a valid option, but he probably wasn't even home yet... His bus took forever, because he lives out of town. Maybe less valid, when I think about it. I guess Eridan might be an okay option, but I don't like him enough yet to have him in my home.

I guess any other teenager would be downright thrilled to have the entire house to themselves, but it's just weird for me. My entire life has been around people, but now I'm suddenly alone. I've never looked forward to the day where I have to be alone in the house. What if I can't breathe? What if someone gets in? Yeah, a kid with lung cancer can stop a mass murderer. Oh, there are no mass murderers near where I live? Well, they have to start somewhere. Why not me? It's always best to start out easy, and I'm as easy as they come. It would only be easier if I was asleep.

I shake my head. I don't want to think about that.

I walk upstairs to my room, unlock my candy vault, pull out a bunch of things, then I call Sollux on the house phone. I don't have a cell, because I never left the house, unless it was to go to the hospital for treatments. But my parents were there the entire time.

"Yeah?" Sollux asks, picking up the phone. "KK, what the fuck do you want?"

"I have the whole house to myself," I respond, trying to sound cocky, even though I really want company. "Wanna play some online games?"

"I thwear to God, KK," he sighs. "You jutht called me becauthe you're lonely."

"Yeah, okay," I agree quickly, dropping the topic as quickly as it had come up. "Whatever. Let's play online, you assfuck."

"My head ith killing me," he says irritably. "If I look at anything brighter than that lightbulb in the kitchen-" It's a broken lightbulb. "- then my head will exthplode. It will be your fault."

"Then turn down the brightness!"

"Ow. Don't yell. I have a headache." I sighed harshly, and I heard him press a button to turn the screen on. "Augh... Worthe than I thought..." He presses more buttons to turn down the brightness (I assume). "What the fuck do you want to play, anywayth? You don't have many."

"Let's play that new Sgrub game."

"So your parents finally got you that, huh?"

"No. Send me the software."

"Ugh, but then I need to turn on my computer!"

"Oh, you poor baby. Why don't you want to play?"

"In my thorry thtate, you are going to beat me, and then hold it over my head. I already know."

"Sollux, oh my God."

"Blah, blah. You know I'm right."

"Sgrub is a cooperative game, anyways. There's no "beating" each other."

"I don't even have Thgrub anymore. That wath the beta verthion. I've got Thburb."

"Ugh, then send me that!"

"I don't want to."

"Why the fuck not?!"

"Yelling! OW!" A pause. "KK, I barely even got up to turn on the TV. It took more effort than I'd like to admit to grab the TV remote, and now you're athking me to get up, thit down, lean down, thit back up again, thuffer through bright lightth before I can turn down the brightneth, and then I jutht get the code, which taketh like two thecondth, then I thend it to you, then I bend back down, thtand up, and thit down again on my bed, and then I have to deal with your shitty-ath-fuck Internet while you connect. That'th completely unreathonable, ethpethially thinthe you're going to thtart up thith game, thuck horribly at it, and then never touch it again."

"What? Sollux, come on!"

"Are you even lithening to me? I'm not doing it!"

He hangs up.

Wow.