Chapter Twenty-Eight: You only live once

Start from the beginning

"Bethany," I say. When it doesn't catch her attention, I try saying it louder. This time, her eyes snap to me and she ceases her drumming. "Are you ok?" I get that she's worried about Carter, but I'm afraid she's about to have a panic attack.

I guess her protectiveness is coming out. Cayton told me that it's something that comes with mates, but it's especially worse with mates because their wolf or whatever intensifies those feelings. This explains Cayton's sometimes unreasonable jealousy.

"I'm fine," she says, trying to force a smile on her face. "Thank you." I nod in response.

"You know what you two need?" Tami says after a moment. "A distraction."

*

I have to hand it to Tami; she really does know how to distract a girl.

Her distraction was planning. Lots of planning.

We've come to the conclusion that Trenton, bless his heart, is completely clueless. Therefore, Tami wants to make this surprise a big surprise. We were easily distracted with the planning. Even Bethany got into it, and I swear it's the most I've heard her talk. We enlisted Hunter as well, which was completely hilarious by the way.

He didn't know Tami has a bun in the oven, and was promptly threatened with unimaginable pain and torture if he so much as uttered the word baby around Trenton.

As usual, we are all sitting at the island in the stools. This time though, all four are filled as Bethany is occupying the usually empty seat.

It didn't take long for her to break out of her shell. Once she got accustomed to mine and Hunter's random bickering and teasing, Tami's sarcastic remarks, and my tendency to blurt out random things, she fit right in, though she's still a bit of a recluse when it comes to our nosey selves asking her questions. She also has this amazing gift of patience.

Somewhere around three is when Cayton, Carter, and Trenton arrived.

All of them were in shorts, barefoot and shirtless. They looked worn out, which I guess is a result of running and being up since three in the morning. My eyes immediately scan all over Cayton's body. Not that I was checking him out—completely—I'm checking for any signs of injuries. He's clear.

And still nicely chiseled.

No one said anything. We're waiting for them to say something, and they're acting like nothing is going on. Finally, Carter breaks the silence.

"Hello, it's nice to see you guys. How are we doing? Well we're doing great. Thanks," he says sarcastically, before steeping over to Bethany and giving her a kiss. I swear that a tidal wave of relief washes over her.

I roll my eyes at Carter and his oh-so joyous presence, before directing my gaze to Cayton, who was coming over to me.

"You, mister, have to tell me what was going on," I say.

"Nothing, everything is taken cared of," he says, lifting me out of my seat and sliding in, forcing me to sit on his lap. I swear, this boy never lets me sit anywhere but on him.

"Mhmm." I'm going to press the issue later, but for now, it can wait. Besides, I guess he might need a few more hours sleep beforehand.

"So what have you guys been up to all day?" Trenton asks.

"Oh nothing, just the usual. Dealing with these two idiots and such," Tami answers, pointing to both Hunter and I. We both give her a look that says 'We know your secret. Don't test us.'

She gives us an apologetic smile.

"You know Tami, I was just thinking about making you a nice bowl of-" I was just about to make a remark on fish, a food that she says makes her sick just by it's name, when I feel a pair of lips on my neck.