"I'm sorry if I'm not amused by foolish things," he said rudely.

"Hey," I said sternly, my temper rising, "I'm just trying to help."

"Well we don't need your help," he retorted, standing up. He was at almost a whole head taller than me, which is quite intimidating, but of course I didn't let him see that.

I took a step closer to him. "What? Do you think you're so great that you don't need anyone?"

"No I don't think that. But I do think that we don't need you," he said, taking a step towards me.

"Right guys?" he added, turning to everyone who was listening and watching our argument.

When they didn't answer, he narrowed his eyes and glared at them individually. "I said, right guys?"

Muttering broke out through the group and everyone dropped whatever they were holding - broomsticks, garbage, plastic bags, everything.

"Oh you are so pathetic!" I cried. "Do you honestly think just because you're some bad ass that people will listen to you forever?"

"Me, pathetic? What about you? What, you think since you're such a good, proper girl that can you change us to be like you? You, with your preppy and spoiled know-it-all attitude?"

I blinked in fury for a second and took a deep breath. "You don't know me," I said through clenched teeth.

"And you don't know me."

With a bitter laugh, I took one last step to him so that he was only about a foot away. "No I never said I did. But, what I do know is your mom won't be too happy with you when I call her and tell her how difficult you've been acting."

Yesterday, when I called Nate's social worker, she told me that I should contact Nate's mom if he was ever trouble. I asked her why and she told me she didn't know, but it always got Nate to behave.

That seemed to ring a bell in his head and his eyes snapped to me. "What?"

Rolling me eyes, I stepped back and crossed my arms. "You heard what I said, Nate. If you're going to be so stubborn, I'm calling your mom."

This got a reaction out of him, but not the sort of reaction I had hoped. All of the colour drained out of his face and he looked 10 years older.

With a cold, bone-chilling glare, he stepped towards me closely. "You wouldn't."

"I would, unless you behave," I said.

Nate inched towards me and his arm twitched like he wanted to hit me, but I stood my ground. A short stare down between us passed and then he shoved past me and stomped out the door.

Taking a deep breath, I turned back to everyone else who seemed to be watching me with wide eyes. The kids looked at me like I was a present on Christmas and James, Jackson, Alison and Ariane looked at me with very impressed expressions. Only Dylan had a worried look on his face.

"You can go talk to him if you want," I told Dylan quietly. I kind of felt bad for threatening Nate like that, but there was nothing else I could've done.

Dylan nodded at me and chased after Nate.

I looked to the rest of the group and plastered a smile on my face, even though I didn't feel entirely happy. "Let's get back to work guys."

The rest of the day passed quickly and finally, after 3 hours of cleaning and a filling lunch of sandwiches and juice, I stood in the new improved cabin, clean and pristine.

"Doesn't it look so much better?" I asked.

Everyone nodded excitedly and I felt a gush of happiness wash through me.

I twirled around excitedly. "Now, it's time to go outside!"

I grabbed a soccer ball and led them out the door to an open field in front of the forest.

Setting the ball on the grass, I gathered all the kids around me. "You all know how to play soccer, right?"

They nodded and I smiled. "Okay, we'll have a game of soccer today and tomorrow, I'll have more time to set up a better game."

Dividing the teams up, I threw the ball onto the field and watched as the kids ran after it vigorously. With a satisfied feeling, I plopped down on the ground.

Four shadows surrounded me and I looked up to see James, Jackson, Alison and Ariane around me. I got up quickly and they laughed.

"Relax," Jackson said. "We're not going to hurt you."

"Anymore," I mumbled.

Alison smiled sadly. "Yeah. We're really sorry about what we did before."

"You know, with the hair and the room," James added with a boyish grin.

"But then today, you like showed that you actually like cared about us, you know? Even if it was just like a little bit," Ariane said.

Her constant use of the word "like" made me smile and reminded me of my best friend Hannah, even though she seemed light years away at the moment.

"No worries," I told them. "I know it must be hard."

"Yeah, I guess it kinda is," Alison agreed. "But harder for you."

When I stared at them in confusion, James filled in. "In the 5 years I've known Nate, I've never seen anybody stand up to him like that."

I didn't know what to say to that so I just nodded.

"I think it's courageous, but you should be careful. Nate's done things a lot worse than us. The only reason he's not still in juvie is because his social worker's got a thing for him," Jackson said sternly.

A thing? From what I heard yesterday on the phone, Nate's social worker sounded like a 50 year old.

"Thanks guys, but I think I've got it," I said.

James winked at me. "I know you do."

A blush crept into my cheeks, and they all laughed.

"Hey, why don't you guys go play soccer for a bit? It's gonna get dark soon," I suggested.

They all nodded in agreement and set off to chase after the ball. Sitting back down on the grass, I laughed loudly as I watched James trip over his own feet and face planted into the dirt.

"Hey," a voice said beside me.

Turning me head, I saw Dylan sitting beside me on the grass.

"Hey," I replied.

"Look, about Nate," he trailed. "Don't call his mom."

I blinked in shock. "What?"

"Don't call his mom," Dylan repeated. "He'll be good. Just promise you won't call his mom."

"I don't know what his deal is, but I'm not changing my mind. If he doesn't piss me off anymore, then of course I won't call his mom. Otherwise, he leaves me no choice."

Dylan sighed and pulled pieces of grass out of the ground. "You're playing with fire here, Sarah."

I turned to reply but Dylan had already gotten up and walked away. Looking back at the soccer game, I felt confused. I knew the ball was in my court - the whole thing with Nate this evening proved at least that. But Alison, Ariane, James and Jackson told me that Nate was more dangerous than he seemed and Dylan had just said that I was playing with fire. Was Nate really that dangerous? Did that mean I was in danger then? As melodramatic as that sounds, I still couldn't help be feel the tiniest bit freaked out.

------- 

-lets out a deep breath of air-

That took me like a whole hour and half to write! It sounds so long but I typed this on my iPod so idk really how long it is. There might be mistakes, but I'll go back and fix it once I get my laptop back.

So, tell me what you think. Is Sarah really playing with fire here? And what's the deal with Nate? :)

Comment/vote!

<3