𝙲𝙷. 𝟹𝟻 ☯︎︎ 𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝'𝚜 𝙳𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝙳𝚘𝚗𝚎

Start from the beginning

"Do you have another wound I didn't address?" In a moment of nostalgia, Seonghwa reacts to her pain worriedly, stretching out his hand to help her situate herself again and handling her with feathery lightness, he seems almost scared to harm her.

Kurenai notices the sudden behavior change and she stays silent as he fusses over her, studying the way his slim fingers work to make sure she's comfortable and the way he mutters to himself.

The small action triggers a chain reaction in her mind that unleashes multiple memories she's shared with Seonghwa in her past life, all of them passing through her head like some sort of film.

Moments just like this one where he's had to take care of her and vice-versa fill her mind, creating the ghost of a smile over her lips.

"Have you always talked to yourself when you worry for someone?" She suddenly asks, noticing the common action in her memories.

Seonghwa snaps his head up at her when she asks this, realizing the way he's been acting and collecting himself in the same moment.

"Ahem. Um, I'm not sure." He responds, clearing his throat, standing up straight, and placing his hands behind his back in unexpected professionalism. His face goes back to that deepest frown that only ever decorates his face when he's around her. It saddens Kurenai. "Anyways, I think you'll need to stay on the IV drip for probably a day. I'll try to find some vitamin and saline bags for you. You lost a lot of blood so there's a chance that I might have to do a blood transfusion as well."

"Seonghwa?" Kurenai suddenly interrupts, her voice coming out small. Either way, he still catches it.

"Yes?" The raven-haired man notices her hesitance, pressing his lips together and pulling over his stool to sit down on.

When he turns to look at her agin, he notices how her eyes have begun to fill up with tears— a sight that hurt him more than it should've.

"What was I to you?" Once again, Seonghwa is left stumped on how he should answer, debating whether or not to even continue the conversation.

He knows that he should've shut her down the moment she tried making small talk with him because, in the end, it'll only make it harder for him to kill her. But something deep within him still longs for everything to go back to normal. For everything to go back to the way it was before they were placed in that damned team, in those damn trials.

He just wants the old Kurenai back. The happy-go-lucky girl he met on the first day. His best friend. His first crush.

"You were important to me." He answers vaguely at first, then deciding to give a definite response. "You were my best friend."

Seonghwa's voice turns out shaky at the end, finding it harder to admit this in front of her than he initially expected.

Hearing this, Kurenai's prior knowledge she'd been given by Max is finally confirmed, and the pain that comes with it is debilitating. She finds herself at a loss for words, delaying the next question she had in mind.

"Then what did I do to you for you hate me?" When she finally utters her last question, it's merely a whisper, almost getting carried away by the noise of her heart monitor.

Studying Seonghwa's reaction, Kurenai catches his fists curling up and his muscles tensing, knowing that she's crossed a line. A line that has to be crossed for her to set things right.