Chapter 4 : Won't You Come In?

Klavier wakes up refreshed the next day, and has breakfast with Liesel before taking Vogel for a short walk. He had plans to stop in and meet his old teachers and school mates, but most importantly, he wanted to visit and check up with Chloe's parents. 

He nervously exhaled in the chilly air, on the front step, before reaching up and ringing the bell.

(Chloe's POV)

You woke up early and blinked the sleep away from your eyes, remembering the various dreams you had last night. Some about your trip to Tokyo, but most of them about Klavier, and you. Shaking your head to rid yourself of the thoughts, you got up and got ready to head down to the gym Arianna showed you yesterday.
You were drawn to listen to Klavier's music while you did your workout, feeling stronger and faster today than usual.
Coming back up to your apartment, you changed out of your workout clothes, and showered, and changed into fresh clothes, preparing yourself for your first day of school at Themis Legal Academy. 

You came back downstairs, and Arianna was awake (It was only 9am or so) and she made you eggs for breakfast. "Can I drive you to your first day of school, Chloe?" she asked you. "I would love that, Thanks!" You reply with a smile. "By the way, these eggs are really good!". Arianna just laughed. "I missed having you around, Hon. I just scrambled the eggs. They ought to taste the same as ever!" You swallowed before replying. "They probably just tasted better because you made them!" Ari laughed as she grabbed her keys and headed out to the car. You rinsed your plate quickly and grabbed your bag, with your books and schedule in it, and raced off to join her in the parking lot. 

(Klavier's POV)

Chloe's mother, Diane, opened the door for Klavier. Her eyes widened in shock at seeing him. Klavier nervously gave her a little wave before saying "Hey, Diane, long time no see!"
Diane recovered a bit to say "Klavier, oh my goodness, look how much you've grown! Have you come to see Chloe?"
Klavier smiled warmly at hearing her name "No, as I understand, she moved to Tokyo, I was just here to check up on you and your husband as it's been a couple years." (Klavier is speaking German, but I am not German so idk so just imagine it.)
"Oh I see! How sweet! Come in, Dear!" Chloe's mother says, opening the door a little wider. Diane was like an elegant older version of Chloe. She was almost as lovely as Chloe was, but in a more mature manner. Klavier wondered if Chloe would look like her when she got older.
Another thought that crossed his mind along those lines, would Chloe's children look like her? Would he get to meet them? A random thought crossed his mind before he could catch it, what if they were his children?
He shook away that last thought, he hadn't seen her in 6 years, perhaps she was dating someone. The thought made his heart tighten a bit in his chest. Chloe's Father, John, strolled into the room, with the assistance of a cane. It seemed his accident still affected him. Diane and John were in their early 60's now, he thought. They had Chloe at 39, and from what he knew, she was kinda a precious miracle baby, following some miscarriages Diane had, and the apple of her parent's eyes. "Ah it's young Klavier!"John exclaimed, smiling widely at Klavier.
"Hello, John! It's good to see you again!" Klavier heartily shook the older man's hand. "If you're here to see Chloe, you just missed her! She left for Tokyo two days ago!"
Diane chuckled "Actually, he's here to see us!" She said cheerfully.
"Oh really? That's wonderful! We were just about to have lunch, won't you join us?" John asked Klavier.
"Of course!" Klavier accepted their invitation gratefully. 

"My aunt mentioned your accident, John, how are you doing?" Klavier asked politely. John patted his cane. "I got run off the road by a semi. I almost died, but bless the Lord, I recovered!" he said. "Chloe put off her studies for a couple years to take care of us, the poor thing, but she's finally on her way now. Today's her first day of studying at Themis Legal Academy! She only has two years left!" John smiled. Klavier thought he looked so proud of his daughter. 

Diane came back out, carrying a tray of (favorite/sandwiches) and placed it on the center of the table, alongside a bottle of dry white wine. Diane served the sandwiches and John passed Klavier the drink. He sipped it politely, but flinched slightly and the tang.
Alcohol wasn't his scene. He just preferred water. (A/N Don't worry dear readers, Diane and John's house is near, so Klavier walked, and he's responsible with his drinks!)
"These are Chloe's favorite sandwiches, I decided to make them in honor of her first day of school!" Diane said proudly.
Klavier swallowed a bite of the sandwich before addressing Diane "They're delicious, my compliments to the chef! And her lovely, lawyer-in-training daughter." Klavier said with a charming smile. Diane laughed and thanked Klavier.
"By the way, dear, Chloe was so proud of you when you hit it big. Did she ever tell you at the party?" she asked. Klavier felt his ears warm a bit at remembering the party.  "She did, and she congratulated me as well!" he replied. "Did she tell you she has a poster of you in her room from your first concert?" Diana said with a sly smile. "She was rather obsessed with your music when it came out!"
Klavier almost choked on his wine, and hid it with a cough, She has a poster of me?  He thought. "No, she never told me any of this," he said with a smile.
"I'll show you her room after lunch so that you may see for yourself!" Diana replies with a laugh. Then her mood turned a bit more somber. "I heard what happened with your band and your brother, my dear. I didn't say anything to Chloe however, because it would have really upset her, and she's had so much on her mind, with starting school, and her relationship falling through, and her father." Diane looked so sad.
"I hope you're doing alright. I'm really sorry about Kristoph. He seemed like such a nice boy." she finished.
Klavier shook his head, not wanting to think about Kristoph here. "Thank you for your concern, Diane. It means a lot to me. By the way..." Klavier couldn't resist asking "What did you mean about Chloe's relationship falling through?"
Diane shook her head sadly, deep in thought. "About 2 years after you left, she dated for a year, she was totally into this guy, and he seemed like a dedicated boyfriend..." Klavier looked over to see John glaring into the distance, obviously upset by the story. Diane continues "She and him dated for about a year, and she seemed convinced he was the one she'd end up with." Klavier's mind was filled with jealousy at that moment, at the idea of Chloe planning out her life with someone else. "A couple days after their one year anniversary, Chloe visited his apartment and found him in bed with another woman. She was devastated and broke up with him immediately. It took her months to recover from his betrayal."
Diane sipped her wine thoughtfully, at the end of her story. Klavier's hands were trembling with rage under the table. For a man to have someone so precious, and to hurt her in that way, he couldn't believe the nerve.
He wanted nothing more than to take revenge on that man for breaking his sweet Chloe's innocent heart.