35. Again and Again

Start from the beginning

            “Stupid,” She mutters so quietly I almost miss it.

            I glance at her in amusement.

            “Did I piss off the sullen baby?” I tease, tugging at the ends of her scarf.

            She glowers at me, her wet hair framing her face and I have to bite my tongue to not laugh. Who knew she would be this angry over this mornings bathtub dunking? It was either dunk her in the toilet or the bathtub.

            “You were going to have to take a shower anyways,” I reason, trying to keep a straight face.

            “Not in icy water! It’s like below thirty degrees right now!” She blows up.

            It was a good thing we were outside in the parking lot.

            I roll my eyes at her dramatics, leaning back against my car.

            “Well, the sooner we get to Point Fortuna, the faster you can get back to being pampered little miss princess,” I say sarcastically.

            I can see her frown from my peripheral vision as she lifts herself to sit up on the hood of my car.

            I look up, watching the birds fly over the tall trees for a long moment before shoving a small package at her.

            She stares at the package, glancing up at me, but I keep my gaze on the sky.

            “What is this?” She finally asks.

            “Breakfast,” I reply simply.

            There is more silence before she takes the plastic from my fingers. I drop my hand.

            I know she is expecting me to say something but I don’t exactly know what so I keep my gaze on anything but her, listening to her sigh heavily. She fumbles with the package, trying to open it.

            The package slips from her fingers, bouncing off her lap onto the wet, black asphalt.

            She stares at the sad package on the ground, too tired and cold to do anything about it.

            I glance down at the package too before briefly bending down to pick it up.

            I turn, my body pressing closer to hers as she grimaces at the muddied packet.

            The edges of my lips quirk upward as I roll my eyes and wipe the package down the leg of my jeans.

            “Here,” I say, opening it quickly and handing it to her.

            She smiles in thanks, absent mindingly taking a bite out of the Danish and I look away quickly.

            As she chews in silence, I stare off into space trying to erase the image of her soft smiles from my mind.

            “Do you think we’ll get there within the end of the week?” She asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

            I clear my throat, making sure my face is blank.

            “Maybe we should just try and go back home. We’re lost, it’s cold and we’re obviously not the most believable couple out there,” She begins to ramble dejectedly.