f i v e

Before I knew it; the day went by faster than you could say the word:
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

Believe me, its a real word, although I was hoping the day would drag on a little longer due to my current position.

I gulped inaudibly as I watched, Fayne lift her cup of tea to her lips and stare at me suspiciously while sipping on it.

"How have you been, Miss Ayla?" She asked as she placed the cup back down on it's saucer.

It was that time of the day, when your husband's mother messages you to meet up for a little in-law catch up.

I quickly cleared my throat and smiled. "Just barely grasping on to the fact that I know the reason why you want me here."

She presented a smile of her own. "How so?"

"Just for your information, Fayne, I'm already planning on signing those divorce papers. Nothing is going to change my mind." I say, dropping my smile.

She chuckled half heartedly. "No, no, no, Ayla. I just wanted to talk."

"About what?" I asked, quirking my brow at her in confusion.

She sighed yet her posture never gave out to a slouching thought. "I wanted to apologise."

"There's nothing to apologise for, Fayne. The damage is done and what was in the past stays in the past. I can only hope to better my future."

She shook her head in disagreement. "No, Ayla. It really does pain me to see you like this. Especially after the non shocking news that I had received yesterday a few hours before the dinner. Darren, doesn't know about it yet."

"What happened?" I asked, as my pulse started to quicken.

Her smile turned into a sad one when she spoke. "I know." Was all she said.

"Know what, Fayne? I'm little confused."

She paused, a little unsure whether to tell me or not. "Ryler, hasn't been a very faithful husband to you now has he?" My stomach dropped the moment she said that.

"What-? H-How-?"

"Please, Ayla. Do not cover up for him. That boy may rebel against this marriage in a million other ways but not this. This is going too far and I must admit, I feel quite ashamed." Indeed. She looked beyond embarrassed and disappointed for someone who always held up a professional stance.

I was quiet for a moment, contemplating whether I should tell her everything or not.

"Ayla?"

I looked at her immediately in hopes that she'd drop the subject. But the look on her face told me otherwise.

I sighed and dragged a hand down my face in pure frustration. "Two years."

"I beg your pardon?" Fayne gave me a look of confusion.

"His affairs. It's been going on for two years."

Her mouth dropped and her hand flew up to cover it. "Why didn't you say anything, Ayla?"

"Because."

"I need more than a 'because', Miss Ayla."
I think she's said my name more times now than Ryler has ever said it.

"Because, Fayne. I'm tired. I'm sick of getting more involved in this marriage agreement and I guess I just realised something that I should've realised the moment I said 'I do'."

I don't know what made me realise this and I just might regret saying it later on. I blame the spur of the moment and resolution that might've been there the entire time but I ignored it due to my stupid wishful thinking.