Chapter 3

I couldn't process how long I was drowning in my unconsciousness, always trying to get off to the surface but being swallowed over and over by the dark where there was only pain and cold sweat.

"Take his pulse, undress the patient, find out why he passed out." I felt cold, followed by a steady hand that put pressure on my wounds.

Loud moans floated in the air; however, I couldn't say for sure if they were mine. I just knew that everything hurt. And burned.

It felt like years had passed when I blinked against the yellow light that hurt my eyes.

"Oh, you woke up." It was a soft female voice that I didn't recognize.

There was a female silhouette against the light, and I blinked, trying to focus my eyes and see clearly the face to which the sweet voice belonged.

She leaned against me, touching my forehead, and although her movement was as smooth as her voice, I felt scared and pushed her hand away.

My own sudden movement made me groan in pain again.

"Don't be silly. I don't want to hurt you. I am trying to save your life."

I blinked, trying to hold on to the voice that remains faceless, and once again, I was dragged into the darkness.

*

The roar in my stomach woke me up and was loud enough to make the woman sleeping on a chair next to my bed move in her dreams.

I mean, from the bed where I was.

Where was this place?

And most importantly, who was she?

I studied her face carefully. Her short brown hair barely reached her cheek. The turned-up nose was small and had little freckles all over it. Her thick, marked eyebrows made her look worried even in her sleep.

I looked around me, feeling confusion and fear took over my soul.

It looked like a kind of hunting cabin, small but well equipped and very cozy.

Sunlight came into the room filtered through heavy curtains. The fire in the chimney had already been extinguished a few hours ago, and I was tempted to rekindle it. I felt cold, and when I looked under the blanket, I saw that I was naked.

I tried to sit up to pick up my clothes—whoever the stranger was; I didn't want her to wake up to find me in such a compromising situation.

However, as I sat down on the bed, I emitted a roar of pain. Honestly, feeling pain every time I moved was exasperating.

Her eyes immediately searched for me, and she sighed with relief.

"You are awake. And alive!" Her eyes were also brown, like chocolate. I don't know where that comparison came from, but that's what happened to mind as she approached me. "You know, you should never do a tourniquet; you can die of an embolism."

"I am naked."

"I know. I undressed you; it was not an easy task. However, my grandpa said if someone gets shot, I should find the pulse, see if the person was breathing, undress him or her, check where the blood was coming from and the wound's extension. Always in this order before taking you to the hospital. I felt so tired and passed out on this chair before I could do that, sorry."

I didn't know what to say, so I just stared at her.

She looked at the bandages that covered my shoulder, seriously frowning.

When she was satisfied, she put her hand on my leg and looked at the wound carefully.

"The worst part is over. You were shot with a shotgun, but luckily from a large distance, you got only shrapnel on your shoulders. The shrapnel itself is not a problem, but I had to make sure that not a single piece of clothing was left in your wounds. Otherwise, it can get infected, and then yes, you would die. For now, I believe you will be fine. You will survive, that's for sure."

"I think I must thank you for that." She smiled without showing her teeth; she looked tired.

"You better bet you do. I was not expecting to receive anyone in your...conditions." She paused and stared directly into my eyes as if she were searching for something deep inside me. "Now, this leads me to the question. Who are you?'"

I looked at her, and then I looked around.

This was so strange. I stared at her again, my eyes wide open.

"I don't know."