one

"Mom, I'm going to Cara's!" I shouted up the stairs.

"Okay, be home by ten so you can get your homework done!" She replied. I turned and walked out of the front door and got in my car, pulling out of the driveway.

After the short eight minute drive, I pulled into the familiar driveway and walked into the house.

"Honey, I'm home!" I sang as my best friend jumped down the stairs.

"Grace! Oh my gosh you will not believe what happened today in science." She squealed as she pulled me into the kitchen. Without giving me a second to respond, she dove right into her story.

"So, you know Jacob, that really cute guy that's in our math class?" She asked. I just nodded, not wanting to interrupt her flow.

"So I was walking back to my seat from getting my textbook, and he put a piece of paper on my book and smiled at me. So, naturally, I opened the note when I got back to my seat, and it was his number. I got Jacob's number!" She squealed.

"Cara, chill. Jacob doesn't want to date a wacko. He needs a mature girl." I laughed. She stopped and smoothed out her skirt, nodding her head in agreement.

"You're right. I need to be mature. Cool. I can do that." She sighed. I just shook my head, wondering how anyone will ever put up with her.

"So, what do you want to do?" She asked.

"Scary movie marathon?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes! Okay, which ones do you want? Wait, no, you don't get to pick. You'll pick the boring ones." She rambled as she walked towards the living room.

"All of the Paranormal Activities, obviously, and Saw." She decided. I just groaned because she knew the Paranormal Activities movies were my least favorite. I can handle monsters, but not ghosts.

While she set up the first movie, I went back into the kitchen to make the popcorn and grab two water bottles. When I walked back in, Cara was on the couch with the remote in her hand, curled up under a blanket.

"Cuddle!" I pouted as I pushed her over to make room under the blanket.

"Alright, alright, geez. How does Alex put up with you?" She laughed.

Alex is my boyfriend of four years. We met during the summer of eighth grade, and have been dating ever since. I wouldn't exactly say we are a happy couple, though. We act more like friends, or even siblings. Our parents wanted us to be together; like an arranged marriage, but without the actual marriage.

I hadn't realized I had zoned out until a quiet "Boo" was whispered into my ear. I instinctively jumped up, hitting Cara in the face in the process.

"Ouch, watch it!" She laughed.

"That's what you get for scaring the living shit out of me!" I replied, still recovering from my heart attack.

"Shh, the movie's starting." She said, putting her hand over my mouth... which I licked.

"Ew, cooties!" She screeched, spazzing like a three year old.

That was an interesting evening to say the least...