Unwanted Reunion

There's silence for a few seconds, as you pick at your finger nails. You can feel everyone's eyes on you, as they process what you've just told them about Alex.

Thor finally breaks the silence, "Has he stopped since?"

"When my mom got very sick, yes. I thought I would sometimes see him across the street or in a crowd of people, but with all that was going on, I tossed it up to my imagination or lack of sleep," you reply. 

Nat puts her hand on your shoulder, a silent form of comfort, no words needed.

Your dad is already typing into a tablet, pulling up information on Alex, "If he tries anything, you tell us right away. Got it?" Tony says without breaking his concentration.

You nod, "Yea."

"I guess that's why we never see you drinking," Steve says but also questions.

"I know most people do no get like...him, but," you begin.

"Hey, no. You do not have to explain yourself. Not to us," Steve lightly smiles at you.

You return his smile, "Thank you."

The remainder of the night is quiet, no one brining up Alex again. Some of the team turn-in for the night, while the rest of you throw on a movie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later, everyone is around doing their own thing, when Tony comes over the speaker, "Mushy heroes. We never went out to celebrate Cassidy's return, so be ready at 7pm tonight!" 

It's a casual night out, just to a restaurant not too far from the compound. Everyone is seated at  a long, rectangular table, enjoying some drinks and food.

Thor raises his glass, "We should do this more often, or at least weekly family dinners."

"That would definitely be interesting," Nat half laughs, raising her glass as well.

As everyone keeps talking, you realize that you need a refill, "I'll be right back," you say as you push your chair back, taking your glass with you to the bar to get another iced tea.

"I'll join you," Loki begins to stand as well, as he's been sitting next to you at the table.

"No, sit. I'll be right back," you assure Loki with a smile, which he reluctantly pulls his chair back in.

You walk over to the bar, "Refill, please. Iced tea." The bartender takes your glass and walks to replace it with a new one.

As you're waiting, over the music you hear a voice, "Hello, Cassidy." There's a slur in their speech, but you immediately recognize it.

You put on a fake smile and turn to the voice, "Alex..."

His brown eyes are burning into yours, with a slight glaze over them, "You move on fast," he says taking another sip of his drink. Alex is a few inches taller than you, brown hair matching his eye color, disheveled, almost ready for a haircut. 

You're confused, "Excuse me?"

Alex scoffs, "We went out twice, and in just over a week, you're arm in arm with another man," he motions with his hand over to Loki and the table.

Meanwhile, Loki has not taken his eyes off of you since you left your seat. 

Now you remember what Nat had told you about going on dates, "Right, we did. Look, him and I..." you look at Loki and a smile naturally forms on your face, "We have a history...."

"So do you and I," Alex runs his hand on your arm. 

You snap your head back to Alex, shocked, "Trust me, ours is one I'd rather bury and forget." You turn to walk away.