Chapter 9

It was an entire week before I finally had the chance to confront Harry. But at that point the majority of my anger had already dissipated. I had never been too good at holding grudges. So I had let it go, and decided that rather than fighting with him about it, I would just ask Hermione what had happened.

After her explanation, all I felt towards my brother was exasperation and a hint of fondness. He was such an idiot, looking for trouble. I could only hope he would stay on the sidelines this year and not try to play the hero against the heir to Slytherin.

Emmett had taken to his name like a moth to a flame. And finally I had decided that it was the right one to go with. Though I had entertained several other possibilities; Shadow, Smoke, Chase, and much to my embarrassment... Kevin.

After much deliberation, I had come to the conclusion that Tom Riddle was, without a doubt, the one opening the chamber. The only question was; How?

The year was flying by, before I knew it Christmas had come and gone. The holidays had yielded no new information about the chamber.

Then Valentines Day passed and still I was no closer. Not that I had been trying very hard as of late. There had been no attacks since before Christmas. To be honest I had been a little distracted recently. Herbology had been kicking my ass as of late, despite Draco's ceaseless attempts to help me. Draco was third best at it in our year, perhaps it was time to get help from the best. I couldn't be sure who that was, but I had to assume it was Hermione.

So, when we queued up for potions, I pulled her aside.

"Hey Hermione," I greeted her.

"Hey Emma," She replied, a little distracted.

"Look, so I'm dreadful at herbology, I was hoping you could help me with it." I explained, tugging nervously at my fingers.

"I could try, but Neville is top in that class, maybe you should ask him." Hermione suggested.

Neville? Top in anything?

"Neville? Really? I didn't know he was any good in any of our classes." I whispered, careful to keep Neville from overhearing.

"Well, he's brilliant at herbology." Hermione said, distantly.

"What are you thinking about right now?" I asked her.

Her head snapped up, "What? Oh, er, nothing, I-"

Before she could finish, Snape opened the dungeon door and ushered us inside. I parked myself next to Neville, who usually sat alone. Much to my surprise, Draco followed, rather than going to our usual table.

"Why are we sitting here?" Draco asked.

"I don't know why you're sitting here, but I'm here because I wanted to talk to Neville." I said. Pansy, who was usually the third person at our table, now sat alone. She was glaring at Draco and me as though we had done something dreadful.

"You do?" Neville asked, looking at me, "Why?"

"I heard that you're top of our class in herbology and I'm shit at it, I was hoping you could help me." I said.

His face reddened and he sputtered, "I mean, I guess I'm alright at it, I suppose I can help you, I don't know if I'll be any good at it though."

"Perfect," I said with a smile, "How about every Saturday, I have Quidditch practice in the mornings, so maybe two?"

"Works for me." He mumbled.

"Thank you," I said, "You're a life saver."

A weight seemed to lift off off my chest, I had been worrying.