What If God Was One Of Us

Start from the beginning

"Sorry kid, Lucifer instructed me to not let you have any alcohol." I groaned in complaint, laying my head on the table.

"Why is life either utterly terrible or painfully boring?"

"I don't know? Don't you have, like, a girlfriend now or something?" I look up from the countertop with a smile on my face.

"Maeve you genius!" I leave the bar, grabbing out my phone. "Layla, we need to meet. Yup, that works." I click the phone off and focus. Layla said to meet at the park near Lux so I teleport myself in front of it, careful to avoid civilians. 

"Lauren?" I look up to see the smiling face of my girlfriend, Layla. 

"Layla, Hi!" I go over to gratefully receive a hug.

"What's up?"

"Well, um, My grandad is in town." I look at her with a tight lipped expression and she nods as if it isn't a big deal. "My grandad. Think about it Layla." She looks at me blankly for a second before a look of realization dawns. 

"Oh shit! As in, God. The real God? God, God?"

"Yes Layla. The piece of shit who made sure I was born so that I could rule hell and be tortured every second I remained on earth because I had all these weird super powers caught up in a kind-of-human body."

"Wow. Okay. Has he done anything since he's gotten here?"

"Not much. Basically just diffused a huge fight between dad and his brothers."

"Okay." She rubs her hands over her mouth in thought. "Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing?"

"I'm not entirely sure. Dad just said he needed space to think which is why I left the penthouse and thought it would be a good time to see you." I smile and put my arms around her neck.

"Well that was a good decision then." She grins mischievously, glancing down at my lips, moving in closer to-"

***

Woah woah woah.

What?

I don't want to hear about your frivolous encounters!

You said you wanted to hear the whole story.

Just, skip over those parts. Please.

Wow. You have manners.

Hurry up or you know what will happen.

Alright, alright sheesh. Right. Where was I before you so rudely interrupted me?

***

After I teleported back to Lux, I walked in the door to hear Lucifer playing Footloose on the piano and acting like a madman on drugs with his happy aura and big smiles. It was sickening. He walked off with, Chloe who had appeared from amongst the crowd.

I watched them chat while walking down the stairs, avoiding the crowds of people giggling as they left for the upstairs part of the club. They seemed to be having a tense, awkward conversation but I couldn't get close enough to hear what they were saying. I was shoulder knocked by a passer-by and temporarily distracted.

"Lauren, we need to chat." From the brief moment I had looked away, Chloe had left, and Dad was looking straight at me.

"Right. Upstairs?"

Once upstairs, Dad sat down on the couch which was almost exactly where I had left him earlier.

"I had a think about what to do about my father and I've decided I'm going to just leave it alone. If you want to see him, or talk to him, or whatever, you can. I 'm not going to stop you from having a relationship with your grandfather. But if I, were you, I would stay away from the manipulative, life meddling prick." I nodded at his words, taking in the information.

"Right. That makes sense. You're right though. I don't want anything to do with him. It's basically all his fault that my life is as screwed up as it is, therefore, I have no desire whatsoever to get to know him at all. And I'm sure he doesn't want to meet me either." Lucifer didn't seem to think so. The uncertainty in his eyes told me he thought otherwise. "What?"

"Nothing. It's just that you may be wrong about that last bit. Or not, I'm not sure. It's just that he seemed to be very enthusiastic about meeting his other grandchild." That's right. Charlie, my new baby cousin. During my time in hell, Linda had given birth and was now a co-parent with Amenadiel to a beautiful baby boy.

"Right. So you think he actually wants to have grandkids?"

"I mean, it's a possibility, isn't it? Just don't let him manipulate you like he did me." He gets up to grab a drink and I flop down onto the couch, mind overflowing with deafening thoughts.

***

Dad was called into work the next morning. I wanted to come along because apparently it was at a mini golf course of some sorts, but mainly because I hadn't seen Dan in a while. I had a lot to talk to him about. Especially now that I realized just how awful it had been to deal with me 24/7 like he used to do. Plus I had to make sure he didn't think I was dead as I hadn't gotten into trouble with the police in ages. Although when I said that I wanted to see him, Dad seemed adamant not to let me go. Infact, he insisted that I stay in Lux for the entire day. Boring.

Of course I wasn't going to listen. If I got caught being at the crime scene, I was definitely in trouble, but Dad would never know if all I did was go to the precinct for a few minutes. I had teleported to the precinct multiple times in the past, and the more I used the ability, the easier it got. So I did just that, apparating into a broom closet and making my way into the main room.

Lucky me. Dan was sitting at his desk, looking rather stressed with his work.

"Hey Dan." He looked up at me in shock and stood up to meet me.

"Lauren! It's been a while."

"Yeah. I guess it has." Bloody hell could this conversation be even slower. "Listen, I just wanted to-."

"I know. About you. And Lucifer. And everything." He blurted it out and I stopped mid-sentence, unsure what to say.

"You know?"

"Yeah. If I'm honest, it was a bit of a shock." I could imagine.

"How did you deal with it?" Apparently when Chloe found out, she ran away to another country and came back to send Lucifer back to hell with the help of an evil priest.

"Well, I kind of tried to shoot Lucifer." My jaw dropped and I gave a short laugh.

"Well I imagine that didn't go down well."

"No. I suspect he's still holding a grudge." Dan rubbed the back of his neck. "Look. I'm sorry I didn't visit you while you were in hospital."

"Oh." I wasn't expecting him to apologize first. "That's okay.

"No. You saved my Trixie, and I was too busy obsessing over this devil thing that I couldn't bring myself to go." I look down awkwardly.

"I guess I kind of had it coming. All I've ever done is contradict everything you've said and made it absolutely awful to deal with me that you completely gave up trying. So yeah, I guess I'm sorry too." He pats a hand on my shoulder before looking up towards the forensics lab.

"Excuse me for a moment." He walks off to see Ella, leaving me by myself. With nothing to do. Again.