"Speaking of your friend and stress, when are planning on revealing that you're here?"

I chewed the inside of my cheek. "Sometime."

"May I suggest waiting until we are far from port? Like really far from port. Darragh isn't on this ship, but I don't trust him to not have the entire armada turning around just to cart you back to bedroom jail."

"Is he going into Erydia or is he going to Haniver first?"

"Haniver, I think."

Good, maybe then I wouldn't have to see him at all until this was all over with. If I came out of the other side of this hell, I was certain Darragh would be furious at me—but I'd deal with him later. In truth, I didn't give a shit what he wanted or if he was mad.

I tapped a knuckle against the metal railing of the ship. "I'll probably hang around up here and then tell them tonight, after we've gone too far to turn back."

"And, uh, how do you plan to keep Darragh from putting you in boat jail?"

I sighed. "Well, if he tries, he'll find himself a few boats short."

"Benson, are you threatening to sink—"

"These are steam ships that use boilers and the boilers use fire. All I'm saying is that it would be unfortunate for something to malfunction. Especially half way across the ocean—with no one around to help."

He leaned an elbow on the railing and lowered his hand into his hand. "Goddess, I've created a monster."

I gave his shoulder a firm pat. "You didn't create it," I said, "but you did help it escape, so..."

He glanced up at me. "Is that meant to make me feel better?"

"I don't want to sink any ships, Jax. Especially not this one. But Darragh doesn't know that. Like you said, if Darragh didn't want me coming on this mission it's because he thinks I'm a threat. It's better to follow that narrative, isn't it? Once he realizes I'm here, he'll have to decide what to do with me. If I let him lock me up again, it will have all been for nothing." I picked at a loose thread of my uniform. "Let him be a little afraid of me. Let him think I'm not someone to mess with. Besides, I'm not someone to mess with. I'm goddess-touched. I think it's about time Darragh remembered that."

A low, long whistle sounded behind us and the deck seemed to shift beneath our feet as the boat slid out to sea. Despite my own fear of the ocean, I felt the tension in my bones relax. I was doing this. I was really going home. Back to Kai.

Another whistle sounded and the deck seemed to vibrate with it. Beside me, Jax sighed and pushed off from the railing. "I'd like a warm drink. Maybe some breakfast. Think we can risk going into the mess hall? Actually, let me rephrase: do you think you can go into the mess hall without drawing attention to yourself?"

I frowned. "You don't have to stay with me. I'm just fine on my own."

"I know, but I don't mind. I feel—I feel like I've got to." He held up a hand to stop me from speaking. "Not out of any sort of obligation or anything. I'm not trying to babysit you. Believe me, I'm not to the micromanaging type. I just feel like I started something and I'd like to see it through. I've never liked to leave things unfinished. Not food, not jobs. Not anything. Harper always teases me because I'll suffer through even the worst book. Once I start," he shrugged, "I have to know the end."

"And I'm a bad story?"

He laughed. "You know, I haven't decided yet."

"Me either, honestly."