Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"All he told us was that Emilia and Clarisse hadn't been seen in a while. We don't know where they are or if they're even together! So you can't just run off. You need to think about this clearly."

I sighed in disappointment. Eric was right. They both were. "But I can't just sit around here doing nothing! You're right, we don't know what's going on. But that doesn't mean she's safe. She could be out there needing help!"

"Yes, I'm not arguing. But she could also be still in the house for all we know. We need to plan. Ask around."

Silver nodded and agreed with Eric. "You know I care for Emilia too. Come on, not like that." He said in exasperation when I growled. "I'm just saying, I will... no, we will help you find her. No matter what's happened. But not only do we need to plan if it comes to it, but we also shouldn't rush into things without finding the facts."

"You'll all help me find her? Now? I understand what you're both saying and I'll try to wait as long as I can. But I have a bad feeling about this. I had one earlier and didn't realize it. I can't wait here a moment more."

Just then the human from earlier, O'Connor stepped from the tree line silently. I glanced over, startled. I had not heard him coming. Glancing at the others, I wondered if they heard him but they looked just as startled.

"Don't mind me. Took a while to catch up but I'm glad I did. After you three left someone came. They found Clarisse. She's in the main clearing."

My eyes widened and I started to turn to run there when his voice stopped me.

"Just Clarisse. Not Emilia."

I turned back towards him. "What do you mean, not Emilia. They were together. They shouldn't be separated."

"Well, that's just it. Clarisse said they split up to cover more ground when they were searching for the kids. She says she took the house and Emilia insisted on looking outside."

Frowning, I shook my head. "No, that can't be right. I told her to look upstairs. I saw her go upstairs. And she knew better than to go outside."

"Well, that's what Clarisse said. But I'm not sure I believed her. She... she was acting very twitchy."

"Twitchy?" Eric asked and crossed his arms.

"Yea, she couldn't really meet my eyes for any length of time and kept licking her lips. I don't exactly know what you guys do to tell lies, sniff each other's butts? But, I know someone who's lying or making something up when I see one."

Silver barked out a laugh. "Sniff each other's butts. Yea sure. Says the human. You wish you were as cool as us."

Eric and I growled at the same time, silently telling him to be serious.

"So, what are you saying? Clarisse knows where my mate is and is lying about it? Why would she do that?"

"Remember how adamant she was about how we weren't to be trusted?" Eric reminded me. "Maybe she still thinks that?"

"Or maybe she just was nervous by O'Connor's dazzling smile over there and that's why she was acting nervous."

I snarled at the same time O'Connor grinned at Silver and flipped him off. "Stop it! Please. I'm barely holding on by a thread and I'd hate to find my mate only to tell her that I murdered her taco maker because he was testing my patience."

Silver's hands flew up into the air, surrendering even though I saw him and O'Connor flash one last grin at each other.

Looking at the human warrior I asked, "So, could what he have suggested be true? That there was another reason why she was acting nervous?"