Chapter 11

"Hey Max, am I in this meeting alone?" Arnie asked when his report went on deaf ears. "Sorry man, mind was elsewhere but please go on."

     His mind was on her, and has been since that first lunch date alone two weeks ago. The closer they got to the retreat the more anxious he became. There was no way he could act on his feelings, but he was falling for her.

     Arnie went over his financial report again, and finally gave up. "Okay, so what has your mind occupied, because it sure isn't this meeting. Our numbers are up and we've managed to exceed our membership goals by 100 percent."

     That's awesome, I'll go over the report and sign off on it later today." "Well, are you going to tell me what's bothering you?"

     "I'm good. Just preoccupied." "That I gathered. Who is she?" "What makes  you think it's a woman?" he replied and Arnie laughed. "I know you too well, and since the company is picking up, it has to be a woman."

     Max wasn't sure about confessing to Arnie just yet. They've been friends since high school, and he was the first to tell him Claire, his ex wouldn't last. He married her anyway, and two years later they were divorced . Since then he's been content with being single again.

     "I have the corporate retreat this weekend." "Oh right, forgot about that. Who are you taking?" "Grace, he replied and Arnie gave him the instant side eye.  "What?"

   "Do you really need me to tell you that's good, but bad at the same time.  I've seen the way you look at her buddy, and that will lead to trouble if it doesn't work out." Arnie was right. There was no way he could act on his feelings.

Max tried everything possible to get her out of his mind, but he couldn't. She was smart, sexy and beautiful. They had a lot in common, and he enjoyed their conversations. He hadn't allowed anyone to get this close to him since Claire. Grace was incredible, and her disability may have scared him at first, but it fascinated him now.

"Well I can see you are definitely distracted. Not good to mix business with pleasure, but then again she is perfect for you. Just thread lightly. You don't need a double lawsuit for sexual harassment and discrimination."

Arnie was right, and I had to shake these feelings I developed. Thankfully, she was off today, and hopefully I can focus on work that needs to be done. "Did you hear anything I said?" "Yes, I heard you and duly noted" he replied as he scanned his cellphone.

"Great, I have a conference call to make. See you tonight, right?" "Yes, and thank your beautiful wife for the invite." "You can do that yourself. Later," Arnie said as he shook his head at him and left.

Once alone in his office, he took a look around as he decided to reply to his emails. Louise sent a reminder that Grace will be out today for an eye appointment. That was the first he knew what kind of appointment it was, and it made him wonder. As he looked at the time it was almost 2pm. The urge to call her was intense, but he fought against it. That is until he received her text.

"Good afternoon Max, just wanted to remind you of meeting with Mr. Morgan at 3." Damn, he almost forgot. She set this meeting up so we can go over his promotion to manager, but forgot about her appointment when she scheduled it. "Got it, thanks." I texted back as I retrieved her notes.

    The corporate retreat is in three days, so after my appointment Charlene  and I went shopping. Finding out I could possibly get my sight back was exciting, but I knew the cost would be through the roof, if my insurance didn't cover it, I could face being on a payment plan for years.

     "You haven't been too talkative since your appointment. What did he say?" Charlene asked as she drove us home. I didn't want to say anything, but she wasn't one to back off. I can't afford the surgery, and there's no guarantee I'll get my sight back."

     "Don't you have insurance?" "Yes, but this is a pre-existing condition so it isn't covered." The thoughts of getting my sight back has always been far from reach. I hoped, but I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it.

When we arrived home Charlene dropped her bags off, and left to meet Kyle. That musk scent was once again in my room, and I couldn't shake the feeling I was being watched. On occasion Rex would growl softly, but I took that to mean he heard someone in the hall outside.

Once I forced myself to stop being paranoid . I attempted to distract myself by turning on the music and preparing a much needed bubble bath. While I filled the tub I poured myself a glass of wine and finally began to relax a bit as I made it back to the bathroom, settled into the nice hot bath, and let the heavenly scent of vanilla and lavender take over before I heard the phone ring, and Rex now started to bark.

"Shush," I said but he didn't obey as usual. He was really acting strange tonight I thought as I managed to get out of the tub and wrap a towel around me. My gut told me I wasn't alone. Rex continued to bark and I realized the bathroom door was closed.

I always left if open due to Rex. I searched for the door knob frantically as I felt someone behind me, and Rex continued to bark. Fear and rage finally took over as I turned around, backed into the door and managed to put my hand on the knob.

     I flung the door open and yelled, "GET!" Rex charged into the bathroom and I could hear him and whoever was in there with me as he screamed and Rex continued to attack. My phone rang and I jetted into the bedroom and managed to answer it. "Someone is in the apartment" I said immediately without realizing who it was.