Chapter 9

Once Mr. Morgan stepped out I could sense round two was not going to go as smoothly. I learned Mr. Parker was not one to cross as far as his father's legacy goes and Mr. Carter was not only used as an example but set the tone on how things will soon go with Ms. Hatcher.

I listened to him as he tapped away on his desktop and then printed out what he needed. " I apologize for having you all wait. If anyone is interested in coffee or water please feel free to speak up?" "I'm fine, I said and Louise and Jason replicated my response.

"Great, so let's begin with where is Ms. Hatcher today and this time I want the truth Louise." "Wish I knew." "Any clue Ms. Thompson since you are her assistant? "None at all," I replied.
"She called me this morning and said she would be in late. To be honest she assumed you were going to cancel today's meeting," Jason stated.

"Well the infractions continue to pile up on you don't they Mr. Carter. You knew she wasn't planning on making it in and said nothing. According to this your vacation surpasses the days you are allowed annually by two weeks yet you write up Mr. Morgan for taking his days as needed and last but not least you were hired based on a reference from none other than Ms. Hatcher."

"I was hired based on my experience and was told I would get an additional two weeks upon completion of two years." You are entitled to three weeks upon completion of three years Me. Carter. You are taking five weeks and have been since hired. I have every right to fire you but I'll settle with a three day suspension, and I'm only basing this on your experience, he said and I heard the sigh escape Mr. Carter's lips.

"I suspect that's without pay?" "You are correct," he said as security soon entered the office. "Kenneth will lead you out, please leave your ID with him and we'll have additional discussion upon your return on Monday."

    "Grace and I will see ourselves out now," Louise began before he cut her off. "You are free to leave, Ms. Thompson and I however need to catch up on the last three weeks."
"Of course, but please  don't alienate this one. She has a lot of great ideas," she whispered but I still overheard.

     Being left alone with him was nerve wracking but I couldn't let him see that. "I apologize for being MIA your first three weeks. I'm learning a lot about running a company and if I intend to make my dad proud, which I do, I will do all I can to ensure the right people are in place to help me achieve that. Ms. Hatcher was here when my dad passed and she either had him fooled or she took advantage of his failing health to get where she is."

     I wasn't expecting things at work to get this dramatic in a matter of weeks.  "I'm sorry for your loss Mr. Parker. I haven't been here long enough but can I be frank?

     "Yes you can, and do expect you to be."
     "This morning I was contemplating how to address the matter that I have not been able to perform all duties fully. Ms. Hatcher has had me review potential trainings and online courses we can utilize, and possibly incorpora here in Bio-Lab to bring up employee morale. I gathered all data, sent her a rough draft of all I deemed acceptable to provide to the staff and have not received any feedback from Ms. Hatcher. I want to earn my keep here not be hindered because one thinks I can't hold my own due to my disability."

That was long winded but was good to let out. "I apologize once again for not being available, and assure you I will be going forward. I would appreciate you sending me whatever was proposed to Ms. Hatcher and I will reply by tomorrow morning." "Thank you Mr. Parker. "No, thank you. We'll talk again in the am. You and Rex are excused for the rest of the day." "That isn't necessary." "Enjoy it," he simply said as he grabbed my hand and helped me up.

     As Rex and I headed to my office I heard Louise and Ms. Hatcher talking about the meeting she missed. "Grace, you're back,"she said as Rex and I continued on. "I'm just running in to get my purse. Me. Parker insisted I take the rest of the day off." "Really now, she said as the phone rang and Louise answered. "Yes sir, I will." Me. Parker is asking to see you, she said. "Great, thank you. I'll be back soon.

"Enjoy your afternoon dear, you and Rex deserve it. I'll keep you posted to any additional drama if needed."