12

tw - brief mention of self harm at the end. just a memory, not the actual act. please stay safe <3

George's POV

George stayed in his room the next day, waiting for night to come.

He was full of questions, most of which he couldn't answer. He'd spent the day sorting through all of them and ending up frustrated.

He reread Romeo and Juliet in hopes of trying to understand their relationship and how it came to be, as well as how it ended. George just ended up right where he started, with no answers.

The masquerade had ended up being the third event in the tournament, but there was no actual points scored. Just brownie points, if you will, from the prince.

Once night had fallen and the stars slipped above the horizon, George slipped out of his room. He closed the door softly behind him, hearing a soft 'click'.

"George!" his mother exclaimed from behind him. "I've been meaning to talk to you!"

George forced a smile and returned his mother's hug, saying, "Hello, Mother, it's good to see you... What are you doing up this late?"

"Oh, don't you worry your pretty little head!" she said and added with a sly smile, "Where are you sneaking off to?"

"Nowhere."

His mother raised an eyebrow, still grinning as she said, "Are you heading off to see the prince?"

George shook his head quickly, but his mother picked up something, chuckling, "Oh good! I loved seeing you dance with him last night, sweetie, you two looked stunning together!"

George felt a blush creep up his neck as he said in a hushed whisper, "It wasn't like that Mother!"

"Then what was it like?"

"He danced with everyone, remember?"

She tilted her head and replied, "But George, he seemed to like dancing with you the most."

George couldn't help the word escape his throat, "Really?"

His mother nodded and smiled. "This is good George, you have a better chance at winning if he likes you."

"Are you saying their system is flawed?"

Her eyes widened. "No, no, no. That's not at all what I meant! I meant that you'll be happier if you actually like him when you win."

"When? When I win?"

"Of course, George, I have no doubt that you can win."

George frowned and muttered, "Thanks Mother. I'm gonna go now."

"Have a fun time!" she exclaimed and went into her room across the hall.

George sighed and ran a hand through his hair, hoping... no praying that he could figure himself out before the next event in the tournament took place.

He left the castle and entered the town, strolling the streets. Clay had told George that he'd find him, so George took his time walking, peering into closed shop windows. He saw the docks by the shore, but he didn't approach them.

"Oh, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" Clay called from behind him.

George couldn't help the grin that creeped on his face as he turned around, musing, "Does that make you Juliet?"

Clay laughed and approached George, "Sure, I can be Juliet. Her character is far more interesting than the infatuated Romeo."

"Whatever you say."