A Bird to Dress

GABRIEL

The Academy masquerade ball was only a couple days away. We all got our invitations two weeks ago and whoever printed them out did a shit job. It's a charity event for the children's hospital in Phoenix, they could have made it more interesting than putting the exact words on it. I shook my head.

I got the guys suits together and were pressed, our masks as well. I asked if the girls needed anything, hoping they'd let me help. My heart broke a little saying they got it under control.

Shay didn't like that I commented on her clothes, that I should be grateful to have her as a girlfriend and not someone that has to comment on her fashion choices. She also glared at me when I cursed, it was hard being with her.

Nobody wants my input. All I want to do is make them feel comfortable in something that will make them more beautiful or something that's them. I don't know. I can't explain that shit right.

I got a text from Marc last night saying he needs my expertise. I didn't feel in the mood but I told him okay. I didn't want to let him down and he said he'd give me a favor. Since I had time, he told me to meet him at a dress shop downtown this morning.

Shay went to work, the guys all had their own things to do along with small assignments. Thier girls had the same things going on. I texted Luke if he can come with, I wanted some damn company right now. He had North's jeep and texted he would pick me up.

I liked that we all loved closed to each other. The girls had they own teams and lived together with them, a couple of them were on the same teams. I didn't think I would date within the academy, but it did make things easier. I didn't need to explain or lie about why I'd be gone on the middle of the night.

Luke texted me he was outside and I made sure I had my wallet and phone. It was summer time and so fucking hot out.

"Hey. So what are we doing?" Luke asked as he put the jeep in reversed. He was wearing tan cargo shorts, a white t-shirt, and sandals. I had something similar on but with sneakers. He turned up the AC and started driving, going in the right direction.

"Downtown to meet with Marc. I don't know but I think he wants me to help with a dress or some shit for the ball." I shrugged. I wonder if he had a date or an actual girlfriend. I envied the Toma team when they had their polygamist relationship with that chick Kayli, but it didn't work out.

I wonder what it was like to share a bird? Maybe I should ask, just out of curiosity. "What do you have to do today?" I asked and watched the traffic flow. I fucking hate traffic. Even more so when your downtown, hard to find parking.

"Nothing. I have a date with summer tonight. Don't know where I should take her." I looked at him. His body was tense and eyes looked further away than just watching the road.

"Trouble in Lucian world?" I smirked, he sent me a sad smile.

"Something like that. I dont know man. Me and Summer, we haven't been on the same page, and I think she's been texting another guy. Her team has been going out on more missions." Well that fucking sucked. If that's true....what a bitch. I guess I could tell him what I felt too.

"Hmm. I feel like that with Shay too, but it's more like...she doesn't appreciate me. I can't really express or be myself most of the time." A lumped formed on my throat after I said those words. God I needed a fucking drink to wash it down.