Chapter 9: Regret

Start from the beginning

"Tch, it's nothing you haven't seen already" Freed pulled on the sweatpants.

Damian cleared his throat, "Whatever, take this." He threw Freed an elixir filled with a clear green liquid. There was something familiar with the color.

"What's this?"

"It's a cure all. Drink it. You start the next phase of your training tomorrow and you're going to need to be fully healed for it."

Freed examined the elixir. What the hell do I have to lose anymore? He popped the cork and took the entire thing with one gulp. Relief filled his entire body. It felt and tasted similar to what the innkeeper gave him in that town with Laxus. Only this time it didn't heal him completely. He still had the burns on his wrists and he was very underweight. The feeling of his brain melting now felt like a minor migraine. Before he could examine his wrists, Damian grabbed one of them.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get you anything better than this," he thumbed over the burn mark. "It's all I could get my hands on."

Freed furrowed his brows, "Why?" He was trying his best to keep his voice from breaking, "Why are you helping me? Is this another one of my father's games?!" He pulled his arm out of Damian's reach, "Do you think I'm weak enough to fall for his schemes?! He already broke me, I already pledged my loyalty to him, how much longer do I have to endure his torture?!"

Freed's efforts to bury everything deep down was failing miserably. He couldn't hold his composure anymore. He was taking all of his frustration out on Damian; punching, kicking, and pushing him away. Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?!

Damian's eyes were filled with empathy. Freed's blows were completely helpless and weak. "Stop," he said in a low voice, but Freed continued to lash out. In an instant, Damian grabbed Freed's wrists and pinned him onto the bed.

"I said stop!" Freed's face was in pain, tears trailed out uncontrollably. There was no point in holding them back now. "I'm not scheming with your father! I did this all on my own accord!"

Their faces were so close together they could feel the heat from each other's breath.

"Then why? Are you doing this out of pity?" Freed sobbed.

"And if I said I was? Would you believe me?" Damian looked into Freed's eyes until finally he pushed himself off of the bed, leaving Freed in a state of confusion. He rubbed his forehead in frustration, "Look, I can't really explain why I'm helping you. The moment I saw you I saw this symbol of hope. You're not the only one who had to go through something like this here, and I doubt you'll be the last." He turned back toward Freed, "I'm trying to make it easier for you to get stronger so one day you'll be able to surpass the master and prevent this from happening to anyone else."

The realization struck Freed. He propped himself up on his elbows, "who are you trying to protect?"

Damian clenched his jaw. His eyes avoided Freed's, "My younger brother. It's almost time for his initiation into the guild and I don't want him to suffer like everyone else before him. I want him to be able to live a life without any trauma."

Freed studied Damian's movements, looking for any sign of a slip up. He could read anybody like a book and from what he saw, Damian was telling the truth.

"Why should I think you're any different from my father? The first time I met you, you were hell bent on killing Laxus in front of me."

"I already told you those were your father's orders... and frankly, I don't think very highly of that man. He's done nothing but hold you back from your true potential. You were better off without him."