Chapter 23

Rey tried to keep the surprise out of her face but her body betrayed her as her jaw opened in shock. Now? Tonight? She thought she'd at least get a little more time to prepare, to think, to come up with... what? Excuses for being a mortal and falling in love with the devil? For only having her coffee shop and love to offer instead of a whole kingdom and immortality?

The more Rey thought about it the more she started to panic. What did she really have to offer to the Prince of Darkness? Someone who had almost everything they wanted? Would she be ruining his chances at going back to a job he had done for almost an eternity? Would Kylo come to regret his decision?

Rey felt a hand at her arm and she turned, finding that Kylo had shuffled silently over to her. "I can basically hear you panicking in your mind, sweetheart. It's okay. I want this, I do. More than anything. I want you," he murmured, pulling her into a hug. "Do you want me to give you something for the nerves?"

"Like... magic?"

"Yeah, just a little surge of calm energy," Kylo nodded, searching her eyes.

"That's sweet, Kylo, but no. I think I have to face your mom on my own without any help other than just having you at my side," Rey affirmed, chewing on her cheek. She gave Kylo a quick squeeze before moving away and going to get changed, realizing she wasn't sure what she should wear... or where they were even going.

"Um- this might be silly. Where exactly are we going? And what should I wear?" she asked, turning back towards Kylo.

"We're going wherever you feel comfortable. You're a mortal so we can't take you into the immortal realm or we might risk you getting hurt or overwhelmed on the journey or once we arrive... but we can take you into an in-between space and that in-between space would take any form that you imagine it to be. It could be your coffee shop, a restaurant, even this apartment," Kylo answered, running a hand through his hair and then planting his hands on his hips.

"And I think you should wear something comfortable. No need to make this any more uncomfortable than this is already going to be," he added with a chuckle. "Leia will show up however she shows up."

Rey made a humming noise of approval, deciding to wear some jeans and a sweater that looked somewhat presentable. Kylo snapped his fingers and changed into similar attire, smiling and extending his hand to her when they were both ready. Chewie weaved around their legs, excited by all of the emotions swirling around in the air, wanting to be included.

Rey bent down to pet him before taking Kylo's hand, calling for Chewie to follow as they made their way to the living room where Hux had sprawled out on the couch, making himself at home. "Quicker than I thought. I guess the rumors about human women taking forever to get ready aren't true," he noted, tilting his head and grinning.

Kylo rolled his eyes, waving his hand and forcing Hux to stand before them. "Stop acting like you own the place. You're barely a guest here."

"Ouch. Do you see the way he treats me, Rey? Absolutely entitled," Hux protested, feigning offense with a hand on his chest. "You're really going to have to work on his humility and his manners."

Rey laughed, poking Kylo's side and teasing, "I know, but we both know he's really a teddy bear full of stuffing under all of that muscle."

Kylo scoffed, putting a hand over his side as if he had been grievously injured by Rey's jab. "Wow, so much for counting on you to be on my side, Rey. What happened to Reylo?"

"Reylo?" Hux asked, looking over with a grin, his curiosity piqued.

"None of your business, Hux," Kylo bit out, shooting him a glare. "Now how are we doing this?"