The castle healer had given him a cold pack for his eyes which reduced their swelling, so George wasn't worrying about that. Not that he was anyways, because George didn't have to worry about what he looked like... right?

"And from the Kingdom of Protanburg, Prince George!" Wilbur shouted.

George's head snapped up and he flushed, surprised at the announcement. Wilbur gestured for George to come forward and George did. His eyes widened at the amount of people on the ballroom floor as he started walking down the stairs, hoping that he wouldn't trip.

George scanned the ballroom for someone in particular as the next royal was announced. His eyes met familiar ones and he almost stumbled in his step.

Clay was talking with Fundy, but once he saw George, his jaw stopped moving. His eyes didn't leave George's as he muttered something to the orange haired prince and handed him his drink, walking towards George and ignoring the prince's complaints.

Clay was in an emerald colored suit with a white mask. His mask was simple and undecorated, like George's, and brought out his facial features.

George slowly stepped off the last step of the staircase. Clay was instantly in front of him, his green eyes bright, but not teasing, they were earnest and hopeful.

Clay bowed and took George's hand, pressing a kiss to it before George could get a word in otherwise. His fingers burned under Clay's lips and he felt his face heat.

Clay murmured, "Dance with me?"

George hesitated, not looking away from Clay's enchanting eyes. His chin dipped in a nod before he could stop himself. Clay smiled, taking George's breath away. The prince pulled George closer, placing a hand under George's arm and directing George to put his own hand on his shoulder. George placed his one hand on Clay's shoulder and his other in Clay's hand. He swallowed as he felt his nerves light up wherever George felt Clay's touch.

Clay pulled him onto the dance floor and into the sea of dancing people. George found that he had no words, his breath caught in his throat. His eyes never left Clay's as the two waltzed back and forth. George was grateful for his dancing lessons. His heart never stopped racing and he wondered if Clay's was the same.

Clay's lips parted as his gaze dropped to George's lips. George flushed and his hand involuntarily tightened on Clay's shoulder, causing Clay to meet his eyes. Clay smiled softly as he stared deeply into George's eyes.

Even though they had barely said a word, their actions had spoken louder. George could feel multiple angry stares on the back of his head when Clay didn't let go after the song ended. George went to step back, but Clay tightened his grip gently in a question.

"Will you stay for another song?" the prince asked, his eyes hopeful.

George swallowed and looked at the other royals, "Clay... I-I think you should dance with the others as well, I'm not the only prince here, remember?"

"But I want to dance with you."

George looked back to Clay and his chest squeezed. "I'm sorry, but I can't."

He stepped out of Clay's arms, not meeting resistance this time. George gave Clay a weak grin and nodded in encouragement for the prince to dance. Clay's face fell as Fundy stepped between the two, dragging him onto the dance floor.

George knew that if he accepted Clay's offer, he wouldn't be able to refuse the next. Clay's touch was addicting and George wanted more, but he knew he couldn't have more.

George let out a long exhale and left the ballroom floor. He felt Clay's eyes burn into the back of his head as he walked back up the steps in which he came. George wasn't going to leave yet, that would be rude, instead he went to one of the many balconies.

He rested his elbows on the rail, feeling the salty ocean air hit his face, clearing his scattered thoughts. George looked at his empty hands, which were once touching Clay. George took a deep breath and closed his eyes, calming his racing heart.

His fingers closed around nothing, still tingling from before. George stretched his fingers and let them still on the railing. He didn't know how long he stood there, but it wasn't unbearably long.

Someone eventually joined him on the balcony, standing next to him. George opened his eyes and glanced over to find Clay looking at him.

George chuckled, his voice raw from his thoughts, "Did you give everyone a turn?"

Clay scoffed, muttering a 'yeah' and taking his mask off. George remembered that his was still on, but he made no move to take it off, instead staring at the sky in front of them.

"I read the book," George whispered, still not meeting Clay's stare.

"Oh yeah?" Clay asked quietly, "Did you like it?"

"Yeah," George said, his voice barely audible, "why did it have to end like that?"

"I don't know. Really shows you how messed up humanity is."

George nodded slowly, his eyes searching the stars for something that wasn't there. The only sound was the quiet thrum of the music from the ballroom floor from below and a faint ringing of the harbor bells. Clay was still watching George, waiting for George's head to turn, but George ignored the stare.

"Can you look at me?" Clay asked quietly.

George forced his head to turn, his eyes meeting Clay's. They said nothing, just stood staring into each other's eyes. George saw the prince hold his breath as he brought his hands to George's face. George didn't know why, but he didn't make a move to back away.

When George didn't move, Clay lifted his hands to untie George's mask. The mask fell away and Clay's mouth parted. His hands slid down the back of George's head and rested on the nape of George's neck.

George inhaled sharply, not moving. His heart started back up again, racing in excitement and terror. His eyes widened as Clay brought his face to George, pressing their foreheads together. George froze, unsure of what to do. He looked between Clay's eyes rapidly, not knowing what he wanted.

"Oh god," Clay breathed, his warm breath reaching George's lips, "I want to kiss you so bad George."

George couldn't move, his breath locking in his chest. He was frozen in fear, in fear of what could happen.

"But I won't," Clay murmured, "not... not yet."

Clay pulled George's head to his chest, embracing him. George relaxed, his shoulders dropping in relief. He let himself soften into Clay's touch, feeling Clay's heart thud just as fast as his. George wrapped his arms around Clay, melting into the embrace.

He closed his eyes, feeling Clay's chin rest atop his head. They said nothing else, just standing in each others' presence. And the two stood like that for an unidentifiable amount of time. Clay didn't seem bothered at all to be missing out on the dance.

After a long while, Clay stepped away and George's hands were reluctantly stuffed into his pockets. They stared into each others' eyes, Clay's eyes full of longing and George's full of confusion at his own thoughts.

Clay swallowed and looked away, breaking their eye contact. He mumbled, "I-I should go."

"Yeah, I should too," George whispered.

But neither made a move to leave. Clay looked back to George, his eyes bright with a new idea.

"Meet me in town tomorrow. Midnight," he said, "I want to show you something."

George tilted his head and asked, "Where in town?"

Clay shrugged and turned to leave, calling over his shoulder and putting his mask back on, "I'll find you."

George's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why does he want to meet up? George's mind looked for a reason, but he found none. He turned back to the stars and touched a hand to his forehead, recalling how close Clay was just a moment ago.

He smiled softly, deciding he liked this feeling in him. Being that close to someone, like he just was with Clay, always scared him.

But for once, in this moment, part of him wasn't scared.

----------
a/n - sorry if there are grammatical errors, it's way past midnight and I can't think straight :/

good bye, ily <3