the unbreakable vow

XXXVI

XXXVI. THE UNBREAKABLE VOW

"You-can't-make-me!" Winnifred exclaimed, gripping the door frame as Prim tried to drag her.

"He's not that bad! You're already dressed up, so just stop by for a moment, at least." Prim told her cousin. Slughorn's Christmas party had arrived, and Winnifred would've given anything to stay in her dormitory and read than go to another one of his parties. Winnifred knew he was a good man at heart, but she felt uncomfortable when he talked about her family; and that was all the time. He still had a habit of calling her by her mother's last name. Winnifred didn't take offense to that, but it made her sad. It made her wonder what it would be like to have a normal family - like Ron or Prim. Two happy parents, alive and well.

Winnifred had invited Dove to go with her, so she hoped she could just focus on her friends. She knew Prim, Luna, Harry, and Hermione were going to be there.

Winnifred begrudgingly walked into the party plastering a fake smile on her face. Dove thought this whole situation was a bit funny, but had mainly accepted Winnifred's invitation for the food. Winnifred spotted Poppy at the party, and waved at her. Dove whispered that Poppy and Sabrina had been owling each other, and it was only a matter of time before they got together.

As Slughorn started to greet the people who had just walked in, Winnifred muttered a quick apology to Dove before dashing behind a curtain. There, she found Harry and Hermione.

"Hiding from Professor Slughorn?" Harry asked. Winnifred nodded, looking at Hermione.

"Who are you hiding from?"

"Well that would be her date; Cormac Mclaggan." Harry said, trying to stifle a laugh.

"That tosser? Why would you bring him?" Winnifred asked, scrunching her nose.

"I thought he would make Ron the most jealous — oh, here he comes!" Hermione said before running to find a different hiding spot.

During the chaos between Harry, Cormac, and Snape, Winnifred was pulled out from behind the curtain by Luna.

"What are you doing behind that curtain?" Luna asked, her voice as dreamy as ever. "You're still wearing the necklace I made you!" Luna exclaimed happily, pointing at the necklace that kept the nargles away.

"I never take it off." Winnifred smiled. Maybe this party wouldn't be so bad if she stayed with her friends instead of trying to make a run for it. She danced with Luna, copying the odd choreography she was doing. Prim and Dove joined in at some point, too. Leave it to Luna to cheer everyone up. The girl just radiated peace and love.

The party came to a halt when Filch came in, dragging Draco by the collar.

"Okay, okay! I was gate-crashing. Happy?" She caught Harry's look from a couple feet away. They watched as Snape escorted him out, and nodded, following after them.

Winnifred and Harry hid behind a wall, careful to not let Snape see them. They were talking in hushed whispers until Snape exclaimed:

"I made the unbreakable vow for you!" Winnifred put her hand over her mouth, shaking her head. What had Draco gotten himself in to? Why would Snape ever do that?

Harry looked confused; having never heard about an unbreakable vow before.

***

On the train ride home for the holidays, she sat with Prim, Luna, and Dove, but excused herself to talk to Harry. He was sat in a compartment with Ron, and when she entered, the glass had been fogged up with a heart drawn on it, with the initials 'L' and 'R' in them. No doubt, Lavender Brown's doing.

Lavender Brown wasn't a bad person, but she was a bit obsessive, and Winnifred wanting Hermione to be happy, couldn't help but to resent Lavender a little.

"Hey, Winnie." Harry and Ron said, nearly at the same time.

"We were just talking about what we heard between Malfoy and Snape. I still haven't a clue as to what Snape was talking about." Harry told his god-sister. Winnifred sighed, sitting down next to Ron so she could face Harry.

"Harry, if you break the unbreakable vow, you die. I don't know who he made the vow with, but if he fails to follow the it, his life will be short lived." She explained.

Harry looked perplexed. Draco was definitely up to something, he just didn't know what.

"Dad caught Fred trying to make the unbreakable vow when I was five. Fred reckons his left buttocks will never be the same." Ron told them. Winnifred shook her head, because of course that was something Fred would do.

***

Fred stood next to George at King's Cross Station, waiting for Winnifred to exit the train. When she did, followed by Harry and Ron, Fred ran up to her and pulled her into a bone crushing hug.

"Oh, Wins, I've missed you. Your owls were beginning to worry me." He whispered in her ear. She hugged back just as tightly.

"We're together now, that's what matters."

"Want to take a walk? I reckon it'll be a little bit before we leave." Fred suggested, and Winnifred agreed. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, and Clove looked up happily at them from the trolley.

"Winnie..."

"Yeah?"

"What would you think if I asked the question soon? I'm usually not the one to admit I'm frightened, but I am. I worry about you while you're away, knowing that if something happens, I won't be there." He began. 

"I've talked to mum about it; she said she'd be over the moon. I just have to know that this is what you want. I won't get down on one knee now, but soon, Winnie. I really want to ask you soon."

"Fred, I love you. You know what my answer would be. I want to be with you forever, as long as that might be. I only wish my parents were around..."

"I know, love." Fred frowned.

"My answer remains the same. I will say 'yes' whenever you choose to ask me. I love you, Fredrick Gideon Weasley."

once again, i am not trying to rush their relationship; just keep in mind that they are in the middle of a war and they don't know if they'll live to see tomorrow.