the funeral

XIX

XIX. THE FUNERAL

Winnie woke up in the hospital wing. She sat up quickly, causing severe pain in her stomach, and for the people to notice she was awake. Madame Pomfrey rushed over to her, laying her back down, and giving her a potion. It was a couple days before she allowed any visitors. Winnie was in a nearly catatonic state. She hadn't said anything since she woke up.

The first to visit her was Remus. He had deep bags under his eyes, and looked awful. He'd tried to get her to talk, but she didn't know what to say. Remus stayed with her when Prim, Luna, and Sabrina visited. Luna stayed unusually quiet, for once, not knowing how to comfort her friend; or herself. Sabrina had been crying, it wasn't hard to tell. Her eyes were red, and stray tears still fell down her cheek. Prim looked distraught. Her hair hadn't stopped changing colors since Cedric had died. She couldn't focus on just one mood. She was devastated, worried, confused...

They stayed, talking about the funeral for Cedric that would take place in two days. When they left, Clara Delacour came into the hospital wing, Fleur behind her.

" 'Ow is she doing?" Clara asked. Remus sighed.

"She was hit with the cruciatus curse. She lost a lot of blood, but Madame Pomfrey tended to that. It's still healing. She hasn't uttered a single word in three days..." He said, putting his head in his hands. The Delecour's voiced their apologies for Cedric's death, and that they hoped she would get better soon.

"She was my first friend 'ere. I 'ope she recovers. Please let 'er know 'zat I will write her." Clara said before leaving.

The most shocking visitor was Draco. He'd worn a grin look on his face, sitting down in one of the chairs next to Winnie's bed. "I'm sorry," was the only thing he'd said. Draco stayed in the hospital wing with her for about a half an hour before leaving.

The last to visit her was Harry, accompanied by Fred and George. Harry held his god-sister's hand, apologizing profusely, saying it was his fault. Her eyes wandered into Harry's.

"It wasn't your fault." With that, she went silent again.

"Would you mind staying with her? I have to write her father." Lupin asked, standing up.  They nodded.

"No! I've had enough people coming in here for today! Only one of you may stay." The nurse fumed. It was no secret that she hated visitors. She thought they got in the way of the patient's recovery.

"I'll stay." Fred spoke up. His brother nodded, leaving the hospital wing. Harry gave her hand one last squeeze before joining him.

"I won't ask if you're okay. You're not. However, I will stand by you, and not just in the hospital wing...er...I'll help you get through this to the best of my abilities, that is, if you want." Fred said. He didn't expect an answer. She remained silent, but looked at him and gave him a short nod. He grabbed her hand, letting her know that he would be there.

***

Beauxbatons and Durmstrang stayed for Cedric's funeral. Dumbledore spoke respectfully and honored his name. Winnie sat in between Prim and Sabrina, who hadn't torn their eyes from her since she'd been released from the hospital wing with strict orders to rest. The whole school fell silent when Dumbledore told them that Lord Voldemort had returned. The ministry, didn't want him to tell them this, however, Albus had always done as he pleased.

It took a while for Winnifred to start talking again. When she did, she was interrupted by tears. She woke up with nightmares most nights.

The one good thing; Winnie would be staying with her father over the summer. They'd found a place to arrange meetings for the order. Dumbledore called it The Order of The Phoenix. He paid respect towards Winnie's mom, and everyone who came before her in the family. The Weasley's would be staying for part of the summer, too, as they were a part of the order.

Winnie was lost, she didn't know what to do without Cedric. It wasn't that she couldn't live without him; she could. But she didn't want to.

this is the end of goblet of fire. in ootp, we will see winnie and fred's relationship blossom. as always, please comment and vote!