the department of mysteries

XXIX

XXIX. THE DEPARTMENT OF MYSTERIES

The twins' idea took place while Winnifred was doing her O.W.L.S. They'd used the fireworks they had created for their joke shop for one last prank before they left school. Winnifred was upset they weren't going to be there for the rest of the year, but she knew this is what they wanted. The students ran out into the courtyard seeing Fred and George flying around on their brooms. Everyone cheered for them as they threw fireworks in the air. Winnifred smiled and waved at Fred, who blew her a magical kiss.

As everyone watched as they flew away, leaving a big 'W' in the sky. She was tapped on the shoulder, and turned around to see Ron. He pointed towards Harry, who was on the ground.

"He's got Sirius!" Harry panicked, causing Winnifred's heart to fall to her stomach. "What?" She asked. She knew he'd seen Arthur Weasley get attacked, and he'd saved his life. Was her father in danger?

The four of them hurried around the castle, all afraid for Sirius's life.

"Harry, are you sure?" Hermione asked.

"I saw it. It's just like Mr. Weasley. It's the same door I've been dreaming about for months; I couldn't remember where I'd seen it before. Sirius said Voldemort was after something. Something he didn't have last time; and it's in the Department of Mysteries." Harry told them as they climbed the stairs.

"Harry, just listen. What if Voldemort meant for you to see this? What if he's only hurting Sirius because he's trying to get to you?" Hermione asked.

"What if he is? I'm supposed to just let him die? Hermione, he's the only family Winnie and I have left."

"Please, Mione, I can't lose him." Winnifred said, her eyes filling with tears.

"What do we do?" Ron asked.

"We'll have to use Floo Network."

***

They'd made their way to Umbridge's office, only to be caught red handed. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Winnifred were all being kept in there.

"Caught this one trying to help the Weasley girl." Draco said, holding on to a scared looking Neville. Ginny, Luna, and Prim were dragged in and held by other Slytherins as well. Blaise was holding Winnifred back so she couldn't move. Umbridge had set Harry in a chair.

"You were going to Dumbledore, weren't you?" She asked Harry. "No." He replied, telling the truth. This enraged the headmistress. She slapped Harry across the face.

"Liar!" Winnifred glared at the lady in pink. The door opened, revealing Snape.

"You sent for me, Headmistress?" He asked, his voice monotone.

"Snape, yes. The time has come for answers, whether he wants to give them to me or not. Have you brought the Veritaserum?"

"I'm afraid you've used all of my stores interrogating Miss Chang." Snape told her. Winnifred suddenly felt bad for giving Cho the cold shoulder. She hadn't had a choice.

"Unless you wish to poison him, and I assure you I would have the greatest sympathy if you did, I can not help you." Snape turned to leave, but Winnifred stopped him.

"He's got Padfoot! He's got Padfoot at the place where it's hidden!" She shouted, desperate to save her father.

"Padfoot? What is Padfoot? Where? What is hidden? What is he taking about, Snape?" Umbridge asked.

Snape turned to face them, the ghost of a smirk on his face. "No idea." He said, closing the door behind him.

"Very well. You have given me no choice, Potter. As this is an issue of the Ministry security, you leave me with no alternative. The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue." Umbridge smiled.

"That's illegal!" Hermione shouted.

"What Cornelius doesn't know won't hurt him." She said, putting the photo frame of a picture of the monster face down. She had a sick obsession with him.

"Tell her, Harry!" Hermione screeched.

"Tell me what?"

"Well if you won't tell her where it is, then I will." Hermione said nervously. Winnifred could tell she had a plan, she just didn't know what it was.

"Where what is?"

"Dumbledore's secret weapon."

***

After Umbridge, Harry, and Hermione left, it was up to the rest of them to escape. Ron had slipped them some puking pastiles, which caused a sight Winnifred never wanted to see again. As they ran, her cousin caught her arm.

"You're not going anywhere!" Draco shouted. Winnifred struggled against him.

"I have to! Let me go!" She screamed.

"I won't." He said sternly.

"Draco, if you have ever cared for me at all, let me go. I am begging you. Is that what you want? Please, Draco." Nothing was said for a moment before Draco released his grip on his cousin's arm.

She quickly followed after the rest of the group, meeting them on the bridge. By then, Harry and Hermione had gotten back. Harry wanted to go to the ministry alone, but they all fought against that. Harry eventually gave in, wondering how they were going to get there.

"We fly, of course!" Luna said brightly. She was talking about the Thestrals. A creature you could only see if you've witnessed death, and had fully understood it. Luna had told her about her mother, and both Harry and Winnifred had watched Cedric die last year.

"There's only seven, but we need eight." Harry looked around. Winnifred smiled.

"I'll be alright without one." She closed her eyes, turning into her phoenix form. Under different circumstances, it would have been relaxing. Ginny, Neville, and Luna; who had never seen her transform before were wide eyed.

***

They'd made it to the Department of Mysteries, and it was beautiful. Millions of glass orbs lined the many shelves. Winnifred realized that they were prophecies. She wondered where her own prophecy was, but now was not the time. She had to find her father.

"Harry, this one has your name on it." Neville noted. Harry picked it up, the prophecy only heard by him.

"Hand over the prophecy." A voice Winnifred had resented her whole life. Lucius Malfoy.

this is part 1 of the department of mysteries chapter!!