he was their friend

VII

VII. HE WAS THEIR FRIEND

They had another trip to Hogsmeade, but as it was nearly Christmas, Winnie insisted that she go into the shops alone to buy gifts for her friends. She ended up being happy with what she had gotten. For Sabrina, she had gotten a near pair of quidditch gloves, as she had been complaining about how old hers were for months. She got Prim a stationary set, and some sweets from Honeydukes. For Luna, she had picked out a sweater that she could only see Luna wearing from Gladrags. Finally for Cedric, she had gotten him an engraved bracelet that had 'Ced and Freddie' written on it. Winnie was in a very good mood, and the only thing that could get her down was that Buckbeak had been sentenced to execution - on orders from Lucius Malfoy. All because Draco had gotten a cut on his arm for being an arrogant bastard. After returning to Hogwarts, she dropped the gifts off in her dorm, and decided to go outside.

She was roaming the halls when she was pushed roughly against a wall. Shortly after, a wand was under her chin, threatening to shoot a spell. Winnie was face to face with Harry Potter.

"They trusted him! He was their friend, and he betrayed them!" Harry shouted. Hermione and Ron were behind him, look unsure of his actions.

"On the train, you told me to believe your father was innocent. How dare you! He's the reason my parents are dead!" Harry shouted. A tear fell down Winnie's cheek.

"Harry, stop!" Hermione shouted. Harry lowered his wand.

"Harry, please, I know I don't have any proof, but I wasn't lying on the train, and I'm not lying now. He didn't betray them-"

"You're been blinded by your own hopefulness. Just because you wish him to be innocent does not make it true. Your father is a murderer, and I'll bet you're gonna be just like him." Harry seethed.

"I saved your life last year and you would have never known it! Merlin's beard, Harry, do you really think I would try to kill you?" Harry was confused by this. The only other person in the Chamber of Secrets was Ginny. He brushed it off, offering a few words before he walked away.

"If you truly believe your father is innocent, then you better make sure he never shows his face here again. If he does, I'll kill him."

She ran out of the hall, passing the Weasley twins, who stopped her. "Hello, Winnifred, care to-"

"Please just leave me alone. I don't care what Harry says." She cried, making her way outside, leaving footprints in the snow behind her. She ran to the tree by the black lake which had frozen over. She shivered, and it felt like her tears were going to freeze on her cheeks, but she didn't care.

"Freddie? Hey? What happened?" Cedric asked, pulling his Hufflepuff robes and draping them over his shoulder.

"Harry...he shoved me, and he told me that he would kill my father..." She trailed off, feeling Cedric pull her closer.

"When I get my hands on that Potter boy, he'll have more than one scar." Cedric snapped.

"Cedric, don't you see? Everyone is terrified of my father. They think one day I'll snap and go on a killing spree. The only reason you, Sabrina, and Luna believe me is because you actually cared to get to know me. Prim is family...Cedric, do you truly believe he's innocent, or are you saying that to comfort me?"

"Freddie, anyone who cares to open their eyes can see that you wouldn't harm a bowtruckle; even though you're terrified of them. I'll fight the whole school if you'd like. And Freddie, of course I believe you. I believe that your father's name will be cleared, and you'll live a happy life with him - never to stay with the Malfoys again." He said, stroking her short blonde hair. Winnie wiped her tears.

"Bowtruckles are scary...with their little faces, and their legs. Honestly, I don't see how people find them cute. I don't fancy seeing their creepy faces look up at me." Winnie ranted. Cedric laughed, finding her fear of the tiny creatures adorable.

"While I'm having a go with all the students, do you want me to fight the bowtruckles, too?"

"Yes, please."

The tension defused as the two started laughing. They started joking about different things around Hogwarts, and discussing quidditch. Winnie talked of how she would like to be captain of the Ravenclaw team some day, but was scared she wasn't skilled enough. Though, she knew that was what she wanted to be when she got out of school - a professional quidditch player. She wanted to join the Holyhead Harpies. Sabrina talked of being a healer, while Prim wanted to be an Auror like her sister. Luna was unsure of what she wanted to do, but she was only twelve. Cedric, much like Luna, hadn't decided yet.

Though she was still tense from the encounter with Harry, she was able to laugh and spend time with her...friend? Boyfriend? They'd never established it, they'd only acknowledged that they fancied each other.

"Ced, what are we?"

"What do you mean, love?" A blush crept its way onto Winnie's cheek at the nickname.

"We both fancy each other, but are you wanting to put a label on it?"

"Well, if it means you're my girl, then I'll gladly take that label."

lmao i think bowtruckles are adorable but i wanted her to have a ridiculous fear.

this chapter is shorter, but i am trying to get past prisoner of azkaban, because i'm really excited for goblet of fire, and order of the phoenix. y'all will never be ready for deathly hallows

as always, please comment and vote!!