look at me, draco

XXXIV

XXXIV. LOOK AT ME, DRACO

Though not completely stress free, Winnifred felt considerably better. It was amazing the effect that Fred on her. He left her imagining the future. She'd kept up on her work during the two weeks she was gone, and happily greeted her friends when she got back. Hermione had told her that Ron had made the quidditch team, as had Ginny.

There was an upcoming Hogsmeade trip, and since Prim couldn't go because she had landed herself in detention, Hermione had invited her to go with her, Harry, and Ron. She'd happily agreed, as it had been a while since she had spent time with the trio.

Snow covered the ground and rooftops, which Winnifred thought was beautiful. They'd ended up in The Three Broomsticks, and ordered themselves butterbeers; Hermione specifying she wanted ginger in hers.

"I wish Dumbledore would give me two weeks off." Ron groaned, causing Hermione to slap the back of his head. Winnifred and Harry weren't blind, they could see that there was something possibly going on between them. It was obvious that Hermione fancied Ron.

"It was nice. I saw your mum and Bill. Still not comfortable with Fleur, I see." Winnifred said, taking a drink of her chilled butterbeer. It was her absolute favorite drink. As she was eighteen, she could now get firewhiskey if she pleased, but she didn't really like the taste of it.

It was a bit odd for Winnifred, always being two years older than the other students in her grade, but Dumbledore had respected Evalina's wishes, and trained her as Fawkes for the first two years. She would of graduated with Fred and George, but she was now graduating with the trio.

"Ginny hates her. Calls her 'Phlegm'. It's funny. Just a bit." Ron said chuckling. "I prefer her sister. She doesn't gloat about being half Veela." Ron told Winnifred.

"Well Clara prefers Charlie. If they play their cards right, they might both join the family!" Winnifred said, causing Ron to groan.

Horace Slughorn came to their table, inviting Harry, Winnifred, and Hermione to the Slug Club. From what Winnifred knew, both her mother and Regulus had attended when they were at Hogwarts. Slughorn had the habit of calling Winnifred by her mother's name, and she wasn't sure if it was by accident, or if he was just getting old.

"Nice to see you, Wallenbee." He told Ron, causing Winnifred to almost choke on her butterbeer. While Ron glared at her for laughing, Winnifred caught sight of her cousin looking antsy. He was sweating, though it was below freezing outside, and he kept pulling at the collar of his shirt.

"I'll be back. Here's a couple sickles for more drinks." Winnifred said, not breaking eye contact with Draco. Though Hermione and Ron looked a little confused, Harry followed her gaze, and nodded.

As soon as Draco saw Winnifred nearing him, he made his way for the door, running out into the snow. She pulled her coat on, following after him.

"Draco!" He didn't listen.

After what seemed like five minutes of chasing him down, she finally grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to turn around.

"Get your hands off me, bloodtraitor!" He snapped.

"Draco, you look like you're about to pass out. Bloody hell, what is the matter with you?" Winnifred asked, following him as he continued to walk.

"Quite frankly, it's none of your business." Draco sneered. Winnifred huffed.

"I'm your cousin, and while you may pretend to not like me, I know that family means something to you. Tell me what's going on!" Winnifred exclaimed. If it weren't for their difference in eye color, Winnifred and Draco could pass as siblings, if not twins. They both had the same white-blonde hair and pale skin. Luckily, she looked more like her mother, so people didn't always compare her to the Malfoy family.

"Is it Lucius? Has he hurt you?" She asked, calmly.

"You'd know about that, wouldn't you?" He asked. Though his words were constant jabs at her, she remained civil.

"Draco. Look at me. Something is up, and knowing you, I figure it's not pleasant." He stone cold face seemed to break for a second.

"He wants me to..." It was like something inside of him wouldn't let him finish the sentence.

"I'm scared, Winnie." His eyes clouded with tears, but Winnifred didn't get the chance to say anything. She heard screaming not far from her, and watched as Katie Bell, a girl from Gryffindor levitated in the air. Except this wasn't on the broom for quidditch, or a spell someone had tricked her with. Her arms were outstretched, and her mouth open wide, a scream filling the air. When Winnifred looked behind her, Draco was gone. She ran towards Harry, Hermione, and Ron, who looked as frightened as she did.

"What happened?" Winnifred asked.

"She - she touched the necklace and this happened! I think she's been cursed!" Hermione said, her eyes wide. Hagrid pushed his way through the crowd that was gathering, picking Katie's limp body up once she had fallen to the ground.

"Don't touch the necklace! Make sure you only touch the wrapping." He told them. Harry picked it up carefully, and followed Hagrid's advice, telling him to bring it to Professor Mcgonagall and Snape.

Dumbledore wasn't present at the school, which worried Winnifred. She'd seen his hand. It looked like it was rotting off of his body. Why, she didn't know. He wanted Harry to get closer to Slughorn to retrieve a memory from Slughorn that had been tampered with. It involved a young Tom Riddle, who was obviously up to no good. Dumbledore had asked Winnifred to help Harry if he needed it, as Winnifred's mother had been one of his star students.

***

She met with Prim in the Great Hall, and had told her of the events that had taken place only hours before. Winnifred was in the middle of writing a letter, and Prim looked frightened.

"He said he was scared? He's never one to admit fear. He's too proud for that." Prim furrowed her eyebrows. Winnifred nodded.

Fred,

Something...odd is going on at Hogwarts. A student was cursed by a necklace today. Harry and I have a suspicion that Draco has something to do with it, but Hermione says we lack proof. Dumbledore hasn't been around a lot — he's been making these secret trips that he doesn't even tell the other professors about. Though he truly is a foul git, I can't help but to worry about my cousin. Something bad is going to happen; you can tell. Trelawney has been crazier than usual, and even the atmosphere suggests something is up. Stay safe, Fred. I love you.

- Wins