"Walaikum Assalam." He gave me a small smile.

"She says she wants cake or she won't get ready for school." I told him, wearily. "Help. I'm calling you for an emergency, doctor. I need your back up." 

He chuckled, nodded. "Okay, here's what we're all going to do." He looked down at this girls, who were standing facing him, staring up at him with almost identical sweet smiles. Compared to his height, they looked so small that my heart melted. "By the time I come out of the shower, you both should be ready. Let's have a race. Let's see if I come out of the shower dressed up first, or you both get ready for school first."

"What does the winner get, Papa?" Hania asked, curiously.

"The winner gets to choose the film that we watch on Family Night." Fawad grinned at them both. "So, if I win, we will watch Shrek." 

The girls started squealing in excitement.

"Frozen!" Hani shouted out her choice.

"The Lion King!" Mani added.

"So, on your marks..." Fawad's eyes sparkled with amusement as he bent down to talk to his girls. "Get set...Go!" 

The three scrambled to win this 'race', making me laugh.

****

It was crazy, but it worked. Hania and Iman were ready soon, and they both giggled as Fawad came out of the bathroom, looking disappointed.

"Oh no, you both won!" He sighed.

"We'll watch Frozen!" Somehow, they both had compromised on the film, as they both loved Frozen, as it was about two sisters. 

He scooped the girls up in his arms, kissing their cheeks. "Good kids should listen to their Mama, you both know that, right?" 

They both nodded, and I wanted to slap my palm against my forehead. After all my efforts, he barely had to do anything to get them to listen to him. Why are daughters such Daddy's Girls, generally speaking?

Actually, I was nobody to complain. My own Papa had pampered me too much.

"You want me to take them to school?" My husband asked me.

"No, thanks. I've made breakfast, get something to eat, and I'll drive them to school in the meantime." 

"Okay." He kissed their cheeks again. "Allah Hafiz, sweethearts." 

"Allah Hafiz, Papa!" They kissed him on the cheeks, one on each side, before he set them down.

****

Iman cried a little, especially when she saw other kids cry, and the teacher asked me to wait outside for a while, just in case. 

Hania, as usual, gave me a kiss on the cheek and walked inside calmly, now used to school life.

As I waited outside with other parents of first-time school-going kids, my phone buzzed and I looked down to see a message in my ladies' group- the one that included my two Bhabis and Nand.

<Zoya Bhabi: Ahad is asking how Mani's school drop-off went.>

<Jasmina: I'm still waiting outside, in case it's necessary, but I think she'll be fine. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought.>

<Fariha: Aww, my own heart is sinking at the thought of our sweetheart crying for her Mama.>

<Jasmina: What can I say, Fariha? It's necessary, unfortunately. :( >