"Fuck, I forgot you weren't at the party," Jasper answered, slapping Zeke on the back as he laughed at his bewilderment. "She's Beck's girl, man." At that point, Zeke could've been a mirror because our features were scrunching the same way. "They were all over each other on Saturday."

Realisation dawned on me and I shook my head, but I couldn't stop the grin that forced its way onto my mouth. Images of Nyx dancing against me, wrapping her arms around me, flashed through my mind. She was smart, I'd give her that. I pushed away from the wall, dead-set on finding the minx to confront her. I had it all wrong. Nyx was at that party for a reason, to make a statement. I was merely a pawn in her little game of chess. She had me believe I was in control when in reality - it was her calling the shots.

I found her standing with Grayson, explaining something to him. The latter saw me approaching and smiled before focusing back on the girl in front of him. Dropping my bag on a bench, I slipped one arm around Nyx's waist, pulling her back to my chest. She made no sound of surprise.

Although she was standing next to the ice, she wasn't cold. Her skin was warm and had a red tint to it, like that of sunburn. Just like yesterday, she probably joined in on the training.

"Grayson," I acknowledged the smiling man. "Mind if I had a word with my girl for a second?"

His green eyes darted between the two of us. I couldn't see Nyx's expression, but judging by the amusement Grayson was radiating, I knew she was scowling. "She's all yours." He saluted.

"She sure is," I mumbled, watching him walk away. As stubborn as she was, Nyx didn't turn around or even acknowledge my presence. She just stood there, pretending like I didn't exist. My frustration grew, and I leaned down, murmuring, "do you enjoy using people?" She scoffed. "There was a method to your madness, after all, you little sociopath."

Lika a damn genius, she killed two birds with one stone. Not only did she put me on edge, make me paranoid about what her plans were - but she also completed the task she set for herself. My irritation was just a bonus point for her.

"I saw an opportunity and took it. It's not my fault you're not the sharpest tool in the shed." Finally, she twisted in my hold. "Men can be disgusting. Just look at what happened with Zeke. He saw me as a piece of meat rather than an authoritative figure here to help him."

Her actions began weaving together, tied closely by her words, and I couldn't blame her, not really, not when it was obvious what she was doing. "He wasn't at the party." And he didn't witness what happened between Nyx and me. He saw a beautiful woman and went for it.

"Exactly, but the rest of your team was there. They respect you enough to-"

"To not touch what's mine," I finished, nodding to myself and looking down at her. "I get it." I understood what she was saying, but I didn't like it. Sure, she pissed me off beyond comprehension, but that didn't mean I liked the fact that she felt unsafe in a room full of men. Sighing, I let go of her. "You know, you could've just asked me for help. I would've spoken to them-"

"I don't necessarily enjoy being painted as the damsel in distress, Hunt. I solve my own problems," Nyx interjected, crossing her arms over her chest. "And don't kid yourself, you wouldn't have helped me."