"That's pretty far. The only way it could have been part of the crash is if it was where the ship first broke open. That's too far from here."

James looked at the river.

"When we went to get the medicine, it was gone."

"Gone?"

"Like someone got to it before we did."

"Formas."

"That's what I was thinking."

James wriggled in his bonds.

"Here it comes. It's flaring up again."

He gritted his teeth. He rubbed his back against the ground.

"It feels like pins and needles taking over my body," he said. "God, it hurts."

Mark put his hand over James's forehead.

"You're getting a fever."

"No shit! Arg!"

Mark wished he could block out the sounds of his best friend struggling. He looked at the can. He grabbed his katana and carefully cut away at the lid.

"You need to eat," he said. "Food will help take your mind off the pain."

He held a peach out above James's lips.

"This really sucks," James said.

Mark dropped it in his mouth. James barely chewed it before swallowing.

"More," he begged.

Mark went through intervals between eating one himself and dropping one for James. When the can was empty, he did his best cleaning the squirrel. He was sure he didn't do it right, but hunger was his driving force. He skewered it and rested it over the flames. He looked over at James. He was passed out again.

"I'm so sorry, James," he said.

It's my fault I let Aiden get the upper hand. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me.

The squirrel cooked well. There was some char, but he knew that was normal. The smell was enough to drive him mad. He took it off the fire and blew on it. He took a bite. He never had gamey food before. It was tough, but the harsh chewing he had to do made it even more satisfying.

"Oh, my god," he said with a mouthful.

He took another bite. The taste was unbelievable. It didn't need seasoning. The char changed the flavor altogether. He smiled uncontrollably. He looked over at the wolves. Blaez licked his lips.

"Come here," Mark said.

They approached and took a seat by the fire. Mark broke off pieces and gave it to them.

"You did good," he said. "Here's your reward."

It was getting dark again, and they were nowhere near getting back. It was hopeless to wish for a search party. Aiden had the charisma to convince everyone that we didn't make it. They were on their own.

"Go hunt," Mark said.

They eagerly ran back into the forest. Their wolves needed to eat, after all. Some of his energy was coming back. The sun was just setting in the distance. They would be back before nightfall. He had Wolfbane, either way. He wasn't worried.

Thirst was on his mind, now. After eating the squirrel, his mouth begged for something to drink. He looked at the river and fought against the urge to rush over and dip his head in. They didn't know what was causing the flareup. He got lucky. It was too dangerous to try. He looked at James's erratic breathing.