Book 1, Chapter 7: The Spirit World (Winter Solstice, Part 1)

3rd Person POV

(Y/N) and the rest of the gang are currently flying on Appa, right above the clouds. (Y/N) leans back against the edge of the saddle, trying to relax after what happened with Haru and the earth bender prison.

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they?" Katara asks, causing (Y/N) to look over at her. He sees that she is on her stomach and waving her feet back and forth while watching the clouds pass by. "Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap" Katara says, seemingly daydreaming.

"Maybe you should give it a try" Sokka says with a smirk.

"You're hilarious" Katara says sarcastically.

"I'll try it!" Aang says excitedly before jumping off of Appa and down into the clouds below. Katara and Sokka quickly look over the the edge, worried for what is to happen to Aang. (Y/N) just sighs and leans back, knowing that Aang will be fine.

Katara and Sokka turn around to see Aang fly back up with his glider and land back on Appa with water dripping from his clothes. "Turns out clouds are made of water" Aang says before creating a air bubble around him, drying himself off.

"Hey, what is that?" Katara asks, pointing down to the ground where there is just a huge area of black.

"It's like a scar" Sokka says in a depressing manner. (Y/N) moves forward so he can see what they are talking about. When he finally sees it he feels something inside him become angry. It was La, he might not have said anything but (Y/N) could feel his anger.

They decide to land on the giant area of blackness where they get off and start to look around. (Y/N) looks around and sees that all the trees within 3 miles destroyed.

"Listen, it's so quiet. There's no life anywhere" Sokka says depressingly.

"Aang, are you okay?" Katara asks the boy who has been nothing but quiet since they landed.

"Fire Nation!" Sokka yells, seeing footprints of Komodo rhinos which are exclusively used by Fire Nation soldiers. "Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-" Sokka starts to yell before being shh'd by Katara. "What, I'm not allowed to be angry?" Sokka asks annoyed before realizing that Katara was looking at Aang who fell to the ground and ran his hands across the ash and dirt.

"Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?" Aang asks, blaming himself for what has happened.

"Aang, you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you" Katara says, trying to comfort the monk.

"Yes it does. It's the avatar's job to protect nature, but I don't know how to do my job" Aang says.

"That's why we're going to the north pole, to find you a teacher" Katara responds.

"Yeah, a water bending teacher. But there's no one who can teach me how to be the Avatar. Monk Gyatsu said that Avatar Roku would help me" Aang states.

"The avatar before you? He died over a hundred years ago. How are you supposed to talk to him?" Sokka says, not understanding.

"I don't know" Aang says, also not understanding. (Y/N) could've been of some assistance here if he wasn't looking out at just how much damage was done to the forest. He had to try his hardest to control the spirit inside of him which was not happy whatsoever.

*Small Timeskip

Sokka, (Y/N), and Aang were all sitting on the burned forest floor. While Sokka was sitting there out of boredom, (Y/N) was sitting there, trying his hardest to keep the raging spirit inside of him, calm. Aang was sitting in front of everyone, facing away, ashamed of himself. Katara walks up to the three, hoping to cheer them up.