Obsession Chapter 6

Start from the beginning

I waited until I was sure she was asleep before I made my move. OK, I admit: it could have probably have gone much smoother, but after a few grunts, a couple of low curses, one definite bruise, and what I believed to be a broken finger later, I stood in her room, just inside the now wide open window, which I closed behind me without making an(other) sound. 

I simply stared at her for several minutes before I moved again, wanting to touch such perfection. As my fingertips traced the line of her cheekbones, and drew her hair from her forehead, I was able to fully relax for the first time since Saturday morning, and at once, I felt how utterly and completely exhausted I was. It took all I had not to collapse right away and crush her with my weight (though I'd be lying if I said I'd mind lying on top of her again), but I backed a few steps away, and took off my jeans and the black T-shirt I was wearing. Then I went around the bed to the empty side where I pulled the covers back and crawled into her bed. 

I was already halfway asleep when my arm unconsciously stretched out in search of her warm body to hug as my mind quickly slipped away into darkness.

-------------------------

I woke up early next morning, my mental alarm waking me from deep sleep. It was barely 5AM and it was still dark outside. I knew exactly where I was, right away; there was so disorientation. 

Lily's room was bright, and I could see every detail of it by the faint predawn greyness from the windows. Lily was asleep in my arms, breathing softly against my neck. I had no idea how we had ended up in this tight embrace, but I did know that it felt absolutely right, and utterly perfect: this was how it was supposed to be (without me having to sneak in at night without her knowledge, of course). 

I breathed in the smell of her, and of her room, and as my chest expanded, Lily's arms tightened around me, and she let out a low protesting moan, as if she didn't want me to go. It made me smile. 

Perfect. 

As I knew that her alarm went off at 6AM, I was up at 5:30, getting dressed. My arms felt empty without her in them, but I knew I had to be out of there by the time she woke up. And, plus - I had to get home and change clothes, take a shower and eat something before school started. 

She stirred as I put on my jeans and I paused mid-move to watch her arm go out in search of something. I couldn't help but wish it was me. After a few seconds of this, however, she stopped moving and slept on, with the covers pulled up all the way to her chin. Was she cold? Maybe I should get back in there to warm her up... No! I shook my head. I couldn't - I needed to go. But I made sure to tuck her in tightly before climbing out of the window again. 

I sighed as I hit the ground, looking up at her window. It was going to be a long morning.

------------------

Almost two weeks passed. I spent my days staring at Lily in school, not failing to notice that she sneaked quite a few looks my way too. I tried talking to her a little every day, even if it was just asking for a pencil, or if she knew what History homework we'd been given. During lunch I would sit with Tommy, Danny and a few of the jocks in school, while pushing away Monica as I was glaring at Jesse Gonzalez and Jason a they hit on Lily only two tables away (then secretly smile a little as Lily coldly rejected Jason's approaches and seemed absolutely 100% oblivious of Jesse's). 

After school I would go home to do my homework and try to make the time pass faster by throwing ball with Tommy, Sony, Jim, Carter and Danny, chasing Sammie and Kenny around the house or laying on my bed watching television. 

At sunset I would eat a little before rushing over to Lily's house where I would sit in the tree outside her window until she fell asleep, at which I'd climb in through her window to sleep with her in my arms.