Ch. 7 Traditional to Not-So-Traditional

"Ugauc?"

My call echoed around me in the foggy, snowy woodland as the cold prickled my neck. Without Ugauc by my side, I felt completely vulnerable to whatever the creatures Ugauc had sensed earlier.

Where has he gotten to?

My nervousness was making me impatient, and I just wanted to get out of these freezing temperatures.

Ugh! I miss the rainforest! It was so much warmer there, and there was tasty fruit to eat, instead of these bitter berries and hardly ripe apples.

My mind wandered to the warm sunshine and green canopy of the rainforest, leaving behind the bare trees and gloomy scenery around me. I could almost feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, replacing the cool dampness around me.

I miss home. And Festolgit is coming up soon... I wonder if dragons have anything to celebrate at the end of the year.

I looked around the little clearing I was in, scanning the fog for a muscular dragon-shifter in his humanoid form. But I couldn't spot him.

"Where are you, Ugauc?" I whispered, irritated. I wrapped my arms close to my torso under my cloak, trying to not feel warmer than my anxiety was allowing me to be.

I tightened my jaw, glancing around again, my anxiety only getting worse.

I heard the crunching of leaves and spun around, pulling out a dagger from beneath my dark cloak. I eyed the fog in front of me, keeping as stern of a face as I could, as my heart bet in terror.

I silently stood there in my battle stance, scared for my life.

Ugauc! I called out to him.

No response.

He couldn't be that far away, so why isn't he answering?

Has he run into something?

Is he hurt?

My mind raced, thinking of the worst thing that could have happened to him.

I stared at the spot, hearing only my breathing and racing heart as I watched for movement.

"Rah!" shouted a voice as his fingers dug into my sides as he launched himself from behind me.

I yelped and spun away from his grasp, cutting him with my blade. I stopped, eying my attacker from the opposite side of the clearing.

He seethed, holding his hand to his wounded face. "It's nice to know your reflects are sharp."

"Ugauc?" I looked to my blade, navy dragon blood dripping from the metal. I felt my heart drop. "Ugauc... I am so sorry," I apologized, stepping closer to his dark figure.

Ugauc came closer to me, dark blood seeping through his fingers as he held his hand to his cheek. "I'll be fine, little elfling." He removed his hand from his face and spit into it before returning it to the slash of his face. "It'll heal quickly."

"You still shouldn't have scared me like that!" I scolded. "I was so worried when you were gone for so long and didn't respond."

Ugauc's lips lifted into a cruel smile, and he chuckled.

"What's so amusing?!"

"How much you care." I saw a scab already forming on his wound. "It's adorable."

I glared at him. "And what about the creatures you were tracking?"

"A couple of manticores who fled as soon as I got close to them. We're fine... until they smell my blood."