sixteen

Jax keeps his head down, his phone pressed against his ear with a lit cigarette between his lips as he paces around the deserted parking lot. He looks up, his heart stopping when he sees that lifted Chevy Blazer parked in it's usual spot at the shop. He glances around, hoping that he's just imagining everything. "I gotta call you back." He says into the phone, hanging up on whoever he was talking to as he makes his way to the office of the shop once he realizes that Chevy isn't going anywhere.

He cracks the door open, his stomach dropping at the sound of soft crying following by even softer shushing.

"Jax!" Bobby shouts over his idling bike. "C'mon, let's go!" He silently shuts the door and heads to his bike, following Bobby and Happy out of the lot.

Sophia wipes her flushed cheeks as Gemma rubs her back comfortingly. "I'm so sorry you went through all that, baby."

"I can't catch a break, can I?" She chuckles weakly, shaking her head.

"What're you going to do now?"

"Move into my dad's house, clean it out, finally have my own place." She shrugs. "Still don't know where Gabe went."

"He, uh, came here looking for you and got arrested again."

"For what?"

"Grand theft, possession, resisting arrest."

"Stupid asshole." She shakes her head again. "Stockton?"

"I think so. You can talk to Wayne, I'm sure he'll tell you everything he can."

Sophia stands and nods, leaning over to give her mother figure a tight hug. "I'm gonna clean myself up before I head down to the station."

"Jax just left so his dorm is empty." Gemma tells her, tucking a loose strand of wavy brown hair behind her ear.

She nods and picks up her bag, nonchalantly heading to the clubhouse.

+++

Sophia's zoned out as she takes her first relaxing shower since she left Charming. She moans out as the hot water soothes her bruised skin and tired muscles. She pushes her soaked brown hair out of her face while she just stands under the steady, hot stream.

Jax pushes the door open, paying no mind to the running shower or the bag on the floor next to the bed.

He sighs heavily as he kicks his shoes and pulls his t-shirt, hoodie, and cut off, stepping out of his jeans on his way to the bathroom. He opens the door and stops, his eyes landing on the bruised woman occupying his shower.

"Soph?"

She jumps a few feet in the air, stumbling back against the shower wall. She blindly reaches to turn the water off then she shakily grabs a towel, wrapping it around her black and blue skin. "Your mom said you were out."

He silently looks over the exposed parts of her body, his blue eyes raking down her arms and legs and the marks on her face, neck and chest. "What happened to you?"

"I- It's nothing." She whispers, sliding past him to get some clothes. Jax gently takes her hand and stops her, his fingers running over the splashes of color on her flushed skin. "Don't."

"Who did this to you? I know it wasn't Tweety."

"Jax," She looks away, hiding the tears in her eyes. She's sick of crying. "I deserved it."

"Like fuck you did. No one deserves to be beaten within an inch of their life and judging by those marks, this wasn't the first time. So sit your ass down on the bed and fucking tell me everything."