fourteen

Jackson Teller is no stranger to heartbreak.

His first was with Tara Knowles, high school. It took him years to get over her. His second was when his father passed. Third; Wendy Case, his ex-fiancé, but it was less dramatic with her being mentally absent with crank in her system nearly all the time. Fourth; Sophia Morrison.

Hardest one yet.

Jax sighs as he sits back on the couch against the wall of the clubhouse. He watches Lip pour a couple drinks and laugh in that charmingly obnoxious way at something Half-Sack, fresh meat, said. He looks over at Tig and Chibs as they play a rather quiet game of pool.

The entire club feels the same way Jax does, solemn.

It's kind of spooky.

Gemma drops her purse on the bar top and pops a bony hand on her bony hip. "See you finally got out of bed." She states, looking over her son. "After weeks of pestering you, you finally dragged your broken hearted ass outta that room."

Jax pulls his chin, his tired eyes looking up at the smoky ceiling. "Have you heard anything from her?"

"From who, baby?" She asks, wanting him to talk about the girl that left them in such a rush that it made everyone's head spin.

"You know who." He whispers.

"I have, actually." His head shoots up. "Don't look so surprised. I'm the closest thing to a mother that girl has, Angela is a cunt."

Jax winces at her rancorous vocabulary. He's never met Angela, Sophia rarely talked about her but from what he's heard from Piney and Gemma, she's not a very nice person.

"Is- Is she okay?"

"Yeah. She called me yesterday to tell me she's settled in with David."

"David?" Tig asks, his thumb pressing against the tip of the pool cue in his hairy hand. "David who? Hale? Deputy Chief Hale?"

"No, dumbass." Juice says. "Her brother David in Lodi."

"How do you know where he is?" Gemma asks, arching a brow at him.

"Sophia mentioned him a few times." Juice unconvincingly lies, his eyes darting around the room.

"You're a shit liar. Ope, walk me out." Gemma picks up her purse and heads out the door to her Caddy, lighting a cigarette on her way.

"What's up?" Opie asks, ducking his head as he crosses the threshold to the lot.

"You keeping an eye on my son?"

"Yes, ma'am." He nods, opening the door for her. "He doesn't want to talk about anything."

"No guy ever does." She says through a cloud of smoke. "But after everything my Jax has been through, he needs to blow off some steam. He can't go through what we went through with Tara again."

Opie nods, perpending about what happened to the VP when his heart got broken the first time. "You got it, Gem." Gemma plants a motherly kiss to his cheek then slides into her car, driving away.

Opie turns and heads back into the clubhouse, his eyes landing on a now vacant couch. "Lip, where's Jax?"

He shrugs.

"Great, thanks." He shakes his head as he makes his way to Jax's dorm room. He knocks on the door. "Hey man, you in there?"

"Fuck off." Jax mumbles back, drying off from his first shower since the beginning of the week.

Opie sighs and leans against the doorframe. "C'mon, man. You can't keep yourself cooped up in here forever."

"Like fuck I can." He spits back, pulling on actually clean clothes, his cut following.