[part 6] Glossary of Tsun Titles and Honorifics

Honorifics are attached as a suffix following one's family name

Honorifics are attached as a suffix following one's family name. Given names are used only between close friends, siblings, or partners.

They are not used as a way to address someone the same way we might use "sir" or "madam", nor do they mean anything on their own.

[Casual Honorifics: For use between friends and/or close family]

-dae  when speaking to a person within the same age range.

-uchi  when speaking to a child or a person much younger than yourself. Also used by parents to refer to their younger children.

-assa  when speaking to a person older than yourself. Also used by parents to refer to their older children.

-rinn  when speaking to a middle-aged woman. Also used to speak or refer to one's aunt.

-hann  when speaking to a middle-aged man. Also used to speak or refer to one's uncle.

[Polite Honorifics: For use between acquaintances, distant friends and relatives, strangers you meet outside of specific contexts, etc.]

-dame when speaking to a person within the same age range.

-dasang  when speaking to a person older than yourself.

-omma  when speaking to an elderly woman. Also used to speak or refer to one's grandmother.

-oppung  when speaking to an elderly man. Also used to speak or refer to one's grandfather.

[Formal Honorifics: For use between colleagues, peers, classmates, etc.]

-dji  when speaking or referring to a person of lower or a junior rank.

-djung  when speaking or referring to a person of higher or a senior rank. Also used to speak or refer to a master or professional practitioner such as a doctor, chef, prominent artist, etc.

-nue  when speaking or referring to one's boss or employer, or a person in a position of leader- or ownership. Also used to speak or refer to teachers, professors, tutors, etc.

[Formal Honorifics: For use with people of high authority or noble blood]

-sang  when speaking or referring to a woman of high position.

-seung when speaking or referring to a man of high position.

-sangchi  when speaking or referring to a young girl of high position.