Chapter 1 : First day of school (re-released)

Start from the beginning

I stared at my car keys hanging on the key mantle and let out a sigh of frustration tugging my bun. I've avoided driving my car due to the car accident last year so I wasn't ready to drive even though I had my own drivers license. Mum keeps pestering me to go to therapy but I knew it wasn't going to fix anything.

I swung my backpack on my right shoulder and kissed my mum's cheek. I ran outside to catch my bus and made sure to keep my head down before I entered, making sure I didn't make eye contact with anyone.

The answer was simple: I'm a nerd and if I didn't want to be the bully's next punch bag, I would have to blend in with the others in the school. While I made my way to the back of the bus, I accidentally bumped into a few people, having them shoot hard glances at me.

"Watch where you're going shithead," one of the kids said glaring at me.

"Sorry," I replied and kept moving forward without looking at them.

After finding my way to the back of the bus, I plopped myself down on an empty seat. Not having anything to do, I rumbled through my bag and grabbed my sketchbook and pencil. Flipping through some of the pages, I found my recent sketches of the mountains I had started and began to sketch from where I left off; drawing the trees and the flowers.

Drawing became a hobby of mine ever since I was three years old and my mother claimed I was always found with a marker or a crayon in my hand. It was something I simply did to pass time and entertain myself but couldn't see animation becoming my career. I wanted to push myself above the limits and be worth something but I just didn't know what career to pursue. Sure, I had the grades and the GPA to go to any college I wanted but would my grades even be worth it if I didn't know what I wanted to be?

The bus came to a stop, interrupting the worried thoughts buzzing in my head. I looked up from my sketchbook watching everyone trample over each other while exiting the bus. Patiently, I waited till the bus was empty of passengers before I got off the bus. I clutched my backpack tightly to my chest as I entered school, feeling suddenly nervous. Another bad year of school was here to come and mentally I prepared myself for what was to come this year. I just wondered what other devious plots my former bully had plans for this year and if I was going to survive another year of her tormenting. Dragging my feet, I made it to my old locker where I found red painted letters that read 'SHITHEAD'. "They're the Shitheads" I scoffed recalling the other names what the kids said to me on the bus. I shoved my books in my locker and slammed it shut, walking off to my next class.
~~~~~~~~~~~

When I walked into the class, the first thing I saw was a couple making out in the corner. A few desks away from me, the jocks and cheerleaders gathered in a group. As usual, you would see the stupid jocks wearing their letterman jackets, with the cheerleaders googly eyeing them. On the right side of them were a group of computer geeks cussing out Lady Dimitrescu in Resident Evil on of the guys laptops. The only reason I knew about this game was because I used to watch Mason play it in his room. In the back of the room were the group of troublemakers, talking and making jokes at one another and laughing loudly. I use to go to the same elementary school years ago with Nick Wonder and his other two friends.

Mum used to tell me to stay away from them growing up fearful that their behavior would rub off on me or I would start getting picked on by them, naturally I was curious and would watch them from a distance and what I could see they really were trouble. They really have changed over the years. There were other groups including the goths, the druggies, the nobodies, the theatre kids, choir students, and band kids. I didn't belong in any of these categories since I was just a loner or as some may say, a basket case.

All the chattering came to a stop when I heard a book slammed on the teacher's desk, instantly having everyone's eyes drawn onto the teacher. "Hello class my name is Mr. Parker." He said out loud while writing his name on the board. While he was turned facing the board, I snuck past him and settled down on an empty desk that was near the window not bothering to look who I was sitting next to.

"Welcome to your art class, today you will be drawing a portrait of your partner on paper. I want you to study their faces and draw as much detail of them as you can. This should be a simple 'A' for the class. For those that decide to not participate, your grade will be entered as failing in the grade book. I only expect one person to complete their partner's portrait and we'll continue with the other person tomorrow" He wrote the assignment on the board, then turned to look at us. "Alright class, you will be partnered with whomever sits next to you."

After he finished I shifted my body to a boy with long dark brown hair and bright blue eyes. Shit it's Nick Wonder, I had to have the worst luck today. I looked around hoping that someone wanted to switch partners but everyone had already started with their partners. Suddenly a pair of fingers were snapping in my face and I shifted my gaze to Nick. Fuck.

He lifted an eyebrow at me and clicked his tongue., "Hey, are you going to draw me or are we gonna sit here and do nothing? "Umm... yeah hold on." I got up to go get the supplies and sat down meeting Nick's blue orbs. Immediately I felt several pairs of eyes staring a hole into my back. Feeling uncomfortable I swallowed hard and took my pencil into my shaky hand, fortunately Nick didn't notice so he wasn't able to tease me. I scribbled away looking up every few seconds to take a glance at his face before I continued drawing his perfect face. When I was finished, I placed my pencil on the table and pushed the paper towards him.

He grabbed it with slender fingers grasping the paper lightly, studying it carefully. "Wow I guess you're full of surprises June," he replied with a wink. My body froze hearing him say my name, knowing he surprised me being aware what name was he smirked and rose to from his seat. "See you tomorrow Princess" he said out loud and left the class. Again everyone's eyes shifted to me, I sunk into my seat wishing that this morning class would end by now. Mr Parker scowled and shook his head, "Damn Wonder kid, guess he's got detention tomorrow." For the rest of the class period Mr.Parker explained how the rest of this semester would go. Meanwhile I was already dreading the next day of facing Nick Wonder.