Chapter Eight: I Felt Like Minotaur Crap

C H A P T E R  E I G H T : I Felt Like Minotaur Crap 

I woke up the next morning by something poking me in the face. I groaned and swatted whatever it was away, but it came right back. I slowly opened my eyes to see what it was, expectating to see a pesky fly or maybe even a mouse. I did not expect to see a person's finger pointed between my eyes and a boy peering down at me with a concerned face.

"What the hell?" I shouted, "Personal space, please?"

"I've been trying to wake you up for like twenty minutes. If it wasn't for your snoring, I would have thought you died." Percy backed up and shrugged.

"I haven't been sleeping well recently," I admitted, "First time I actually got some good sleep in a while."

"Ah the perks of being a demigod," Percy smiled sarcastically and placed a hand over his heart. "No sleep. Constant injury - and we owe it all to daddy dearest."

"Being a demigod is that bad?" I asked, upset that my future was going to be filled with suffering and insomnia.

"You trying to scare her, Seaweed Brain?" A blonde girl smiled from the doorway. I recognized her immediately as the girl from the pictures by Percy's bed. "It's tough, but let's not freak her out before she can develop her own opinions."

"Annabeth!" Percy grinned and basically bounced over to her. She held her arms open, and when he reached her he enveloped her in a giant bear hug. "When did you get here?" He beamed.

"A few minutes ago. I got a message from Grover saying he was going to kidnap you last night. He asked me to head over to camp so you wouldn't be as grumpy while you were here." She giggled as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"I missed you," He pouted.

"Percy, I was gone for a week."

I looked towards the sound, which I could see from bed thanks to the giant window in the cabin facing it, and combed my fingers through my hair. I felt like I was intruding on some special reunion that I shouldn't be.

"I'm Annabeth, by the way." Annabeth approached me, who was still in bed, and held out her hand for me to shake. I took her hand and smiled.

"I'm Nahla. I got here yesterday."

"I heard a few whispers about a new camper in the Poseidon cabin. I just thought Percy got too old and no one could recognize him anymore." Annabeth winked.

"Har dee har har." Percy rolled his eyes, but there was a wide smile on his face that couldn't be concealed. "You want to get breakfast with us, Nahla?" he added after a minute.

"Yeah, I can meet you guys at the pavilion. I want to get dressed and stuff first."

"No problem," Percy nodded and linked arms with Annabeth, "We'll save you a spot at the very crowded Poseidon Table and fend off anyone that tries to take your space."

My eyes widened and I just agreed. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or if, because he seemed like a pretty big deal around here, the Poseidon Table was a bloodfest.

After those two left, I slowly got out of bed and put on my muddy jeans from yesterday. I didn't have any extra clothes yet, but sometime today I should be able to call my mom and get some things from home. For now, though, I had to use my fingers to comb through my hair and gargle some water instead of brushing my teeth. I forgot I put on mascara yesterday, and it was smeared under my eyes giving me intense dark circles. In all honesty, I felt like minotaur crap. I looked about as good as I felt, too. Wonderful.