40

Max's theater show was about to happen soon, almost all of Westbury's parents and students were seated in the gymnasium. And, there Amelia was, walking between the seats with a bouquet in her hand.

Abby, Norah, and Ginny were seated a few rows back and was without her knowledge glaring at her. Peter was sitting with some of the guys on his football team and when she caught a glance of him he waved at her. He fucking waved. As she kept on walking she couldn't help but flick her middle finger up at him in return.

She made her way up the small steps to the stage and behind the curtains, feeling her heartbeat quicken.

"Hey" She let out softly, stretching out her arm for her to take the flowers. Max didn't say anything to her or even acknowledge her causing a frown to appear on her face. "I know you know"

"What? That you had sex with my brother?" She responded angrily before she started storming off and onto the stage.

The curtains opened, music started playing in the background and she started singing while Amelia debated on rather she should stand there or walk away.

"Eighteen years and fifty days, that's how long my sentence is. Got to pay my dues, in the Suffolk county jail. Never have I felt so alone. Say goodbye to the world I know. Now, I got time to lose in the Suffolk county jail"

The music faded as Max turned her back and started walking. As she stopped up her head turned to the side and she quickly gave Amelia an angry glance.
Then, the music sped up again.

"Life in Suffolk county jail. Lights out at 7:00, fistfights at 11:00. It gets a little nutty, in the Suffolk county jail"

Three of the others on stage took a hold of Max, lifting her as they carried her off stage, the rest still singing.

"Max, please, max" Amelia spoke out trying to get her attention.

"You had sex with him behind my back and didn't tell me about it. What kind of horrible friend are you? How could you do that to me, Amelia? How?" She yelled causing some of the others backstage to look at them in confusion.

Max ran back on stage to sing again, her face completely wiped of any kind of emotions she had backstage before she made her way back.

"I wanted to tell you, I was just scared of this. And, I'm sorry, I love you. You're my best friend. "The first time it just happened, and the second time...I don't know" Amelia started babbling, the mixture of the speedy music in the background and her anxiousness taking a hold of her brain.

"It happened twice?" Max asked in disbelief, her eyes widening before she made her way to the stage again to finish the first act.

As the song ended and the curtains closed, Max took a hold of Amelia, dragging her off the backstage area and into the empty hallway. "Talk"

"I know you're mad at me and I'm sorry for that, but if I say I'm sorry for being with Marcus I'd be lying" She let out boldly as she looked straight into her eyes.

"That what you're good at though, lying" Max let out bitterly as she stepped closer to her causing her to flinch slightly. "You're my best friend and you've been lying to me from the jump?"

"I wanted to tell you, it's just-I couldn't. Everything was piling up. I was still with Peter, and I didn't want to lose you" She tried to explain, but all her words were coming out too fast, and rather than it sounding like an answer it sounded like she was questioning herself.

"Yeah, see, you could. You could have said "Hey, Max, I've been an asshole and I want to tell you the truth about hooking up with your brother. And, how I lied about that"