35

School, that was the last thing Amelia wanted to stress about giving how fucked up everything had been lately, yet she was sitting in math not paying attention whatsoever. She never understood math, and whenever her math teacher opened her mouth it almost sounded like another language. Not to mention the fact she could feel Peter's eyes burn into her neck. She couldn't be more relieved when the bell rang. the relief only lasted half a minute though.

"So, Marcus got in an accident, huh?" Peter asked with a slick smile as he started walking beside her, earning a subtle roll of the eyes in return.

"Yeah" She answered lowly, holding the straps of her backpack extra hard. She felt uncomfortable.

"Suits him right. Kinda disappointed he didn't get anything more than a concussion though" He shook his head amusingly as he chuckled to himself.

Amelia stopped up with eyebrows creased in anger, taking a hold of his arm. "You need to get help, he could have died you asshole"

"Babe, it's only karma" He smirked as he started to stroke her arm comfortingly. "What goes around comes around, right?"

She stepped back in disgust, not wanting him to touch her. "You don't get to call me that anymore, not after everything you've done"

"I can call you what I want, baby" He teased as he ran his fingers through his hair and started to step back. "See you later"

She simply turned around and started to storm away, trying not to be offended or have the urge to throw up. She felt sick.

When home again, there was nothing but quiet. Her mother must have been curled up in her room still like she had been the last day. She didn't bother checking up on her, she was still mad.

Her eyes traveled over to the liquor cabinet, her eyes landing on the whiskey bottle. She felt her feet starting to move towards it before she opened the cabinet. But she stopped herself right when her fingers touched the bottle. She needed to be sober for what she was going to do.

And, she meant that because when she was in between his and her house, she didn't have a single drop of alcohol in her system. Her mind was clear
exactly like she wanted as she threw tiny rocks at his window with the hope he'd hear and open it. And, he did. She didn't catch much of what happened in between except his questioning glance before he had climbed his way out of the window.

The minute his feet hit the grass, she ran towards him, only stopping when they were mere inches away from each other. He didn't say anything just looked down at her. His lips parted slightly as if he couldn't breathe properly. Her eyes trailed over to his bruises as a frown made its way onto her face.

"Marcus, I'm so sorry" She blurted out, her eyes starting to become glossy. This was the first time they had been face to face since their fight. "I never meant those stupid things I said to you. I was angry at my mom and I took it all out on you. And, I know you probably hate me and that's why you haven't replied to my texts. But..."

"Hey" He breathed out gently, noticing how she was almost crying. To her surprise, he didn't stand there,  just watching her awkwardly. He embraced her comfortingly. "I wasn't not texting you. I haven't seen my phone since the accident. It's probably at the side of the road somewhere"

She didn't answer and she didn't need to, her leaning into his chest and him stroking her hair soothingly was enough. Enough until his face drew nearer hers and the both of them wanted to do nothing more than have their lips pressed together.

"Amelia!" A voice shouted out snapping her out of whatever trance she caught herself in whenever she was close to him. She turned her head to the side, feeling his now heavy breath on her as she looked to see who was calling her name. It was Ginny.

Shit.

Marcus turned around slightly as he noticed her, his hand reaching up and rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly as Amelia could do nothing more than walk towards her.

Ginny's eyes roamed from her to him then to her again with furrowed eyebrows as she let out, "Do you not pay attention to the group chat?"

"I haven't been on my phone, no" Amelia clarified with a dazed expression, noticing the dismay written all over hers. "Why? What's up?"

Instead of answering she took a hold of her, dragging her further away from Marcus who at this point was just standing there kicking grass.

"Max is in her room crying because she just broke up with Sophie and she's asked the group chat if we could come over and be there for her" Ginny explained plainly, but still there was something in her eyes that screamed everything but friendly. "And, here you are making out with her brother"

And, there it was.

"Excuse me?" Amelia reacted with a chuckle of disbelief as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"You heard me. You haven't been there for Max at all and from what I've noticed you're anything but a good friend. You need to get your shit together"

Those words started to make her blood boil. She wasn't about to simply stand there and let her blurt out whatever she wished to and just take it.

"Please, you've been in this town for what? Five minutes. Don't try to lecture me about something you know nothing about" Amelia started with a shake of her head and her face painted in frustration. "This seems to be some kind of competition for you. I know how bad you want everyone's admiration, but I'm not about to play some stupid game of "who is Max's greatest friend"

Ginny went quiet, exactly like she thought she would. It was then Amelia took the advantage and slipped past her, going to the front door of the baker's house.