34

An entire day had passed, a whole day of absolute nothingness. She slept away most of the day to make time pass quicker and set her emotions on pause but occasionally she found herself sending Marcus several messages in hope he responded. He didn't.

Max had gotten home to sleep in her bed earlier and had told Amelia that Marcus was going in for a CAT scan and that he'd be alright, that's the last thing she had heard. Until she heard a car door slam outside of her window.

She got up from her bed instantly, sprinting over to the window to see Marcus and his mom walking towards their house. Her heart sunk as she took in the state of his face, it was painted in purple and blue and all she could think was how much it must hurt.

She put her hand on the glass like it would make her feel closer to him and as if he could feel it his eyes darted over to her window and his walking pace slowed down. It was as time froze, his blank face meeting her emotional one. He didn't have it in him to carry a frown or glossy eyes, he was too drained by their fight to let any more emotions out.

And, then time started again, his mother taking hold of him to get him walking and as soon as he appeared, he disappeared again. It was as if she'd gotten to the surface of a cold and empty ocean only to sink back under a second later.

"It's been so long since last time Amelia, you're more than welcome to stay for dinner with us more often" Ellen spoke with a warm smile as she looked from her daughter to Amelia.

Max had invited her over and she nearly ran over to their house as soon as she asked because staying at home would do nothing but encourage the questions in her mind to get louder and louder.

"Yeah, school's been keeping me busy, but you'll probably be seeing me every day again once summer comes around" She responded cheerfully, keeping up a happy front so nobody at the table could see how much of a wreak she currently was.

Max's house was seen as GAMAN's headquarters in the summer and Amelia was at most times more there than at home. Now, she was barely there except that one party where she slept in Marcus' bed. And, although school had been kicking her butt her mental health had been more of the cause.

As everybody started to eat she picked on her nail bands as the picture of a pair of brown eyes started to make its way back into her head. Not being able to hold out the wait any longer she blurted out, "Should I go get Marcus?"

"No, he's resting" Ellen responded politely.

"Oh, okay" Amelia smiled weakly before she finally started to eat the food on her plate and Max started to tell her about Sophie getting into NYU.

About five minutes later however she excused herself and got up from the table to go to the "toilet". She couldn't have gone any faster once she got out of the living room. Suddenly, she found herself standing in the door frame of Marcus's room her eyes frozen on his bed. She stepped into the room carefully as she let out a subtle whisper. "Marcus?" But, he was dead asleep.

She stopped up in front of him and sat down on the edge of the bed as she took in all the bruises up close. His steady breathing along with his closed eyes and relaxed expression made him look so peaceful but the marks on his face told another story.

She did that.

A single tear started making its way down her eye but she was done crying and so she wiped it away instantly, her eyes going back to him. Without thinking she leaned up and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead before getting up again. She didn't want to leave him but Ellen was probably wondering what was taking her so long.

As she turned around to get back downstairs she was met with Padma, her eyes widening as she wondered how long she had been standing there.

"Hey"

"I was-was just checking in on him" Amelia blurted out anxiously as she stood in front of Marcus's ex, the ex that had still been together with him when they had been all over each other.

"Brought him his homework. His mom said I could just come up" Padma answered awkwardly with a head nod, her eyes wandering around the room.

She didn't say anything else as she headed to the desk against the wall and laid down his textbook leading Amelia to think she didn't see anything. But, as she headed for the door she turned back around with a sigh, her eyes drilling her own for answers. "Do you like him?

She was caught off guard by the question, shaking her head quickly in denial. "No, he's my best friend"

"Look, he's not going to be good to you. He's only going to hurt you. He's messed up. He's really selfish. He's just...he's such a dumb guy" Padma let out with nothing but disappointment in her eyes as they moved over to the sleeping boy. The sleeping boy who had no clue the conversation about him was taking place at that moment.

When she was done with what she had to say, Padma turned around to walk away but stopped in her tracks by the sound of Amelia's voice.

"Marcus isn't as bad as you think, you know. Yeah, he can be a real dick sometimes, but I know he cares for you even if it isn't in the way you wished. He never meant to hurt you" she spoke up truthfully yet her voice full of sympathy. She understood how much it must hurt for the person you like not to like you back.

Padma turned back around this time with a weak smile as she hesitantly responded. "For what it's worth I think he likes you too. Just make sure he doesn't screw it up this time"

"I'll try"