Chapter 4

Alessandro

"So she was suspended from school?" I over heard my dad talking on the phone. I got up and I stood quietly by the doorway to hear what he was talking about.

"Shit. Rei, we need to run this plan through tomorrow. Let's just hope after the news is broken to her she'll try to runaway by night. I don't want her living there any longer." My dad spoke sternly on the phone.

"Thank you Rei, hopefully this goes as planned. Update me after the news is broken to her." He hung up the phone and I quickly walked off when I heard his footsteps coming to the door way. I went straight to my room.

I laid in my bed for awhile. If Roxy is as close with Rei as my dad and him talks about, it's going to crush her. I just hope my dad is right about her running away after getting that kind of news. I'm still curious about what she did to get suspended from school, but I'm not going to ask because I don't want my father knowing I was listening in on his conversation with Rei, so I'll just leave it be.

Roxanne

It's Wednesday morning and I'm suspended from school for three weeks. My dad took off for three weeks to "monitor me" since I'm such a "no good, trouble making child that's an embarrassment to this family." I sat in my bed most of the day staring out the window when I heard the door bell ring.

I ran downstairs but by the time I got to the door, my dad already had it open. I noticed a police officer right on the other side. Oh great, I'm going to jail for hitting that girl on the head with a book. My thoughts were interrupted by the officers comment.

"I'm sorry Mr.Knightly, your brother Rei Knightly was just killed late last night. He was already dead at the scene."

I froze in place staring at the officer. He made eye contact with me, but I turned around and ran up to my room immediately closing my door. I again jumped on my bed and began crying, but this time I felt pain. I felt like someone just stabbed me 20 times in the chest. How can the one person I actually liked, and that actually cared for me be dead? Was he involved with bad people? Or was the person just that evil? Now I'm stuck in this hell hole with no one who cares about me.

Sometime later my dad came in my room. "Stop your crying. I'm not going to hear or see that shit. I just came up here to tell you I'm going to pick up Jake and Skylar from school and your mother is meeting me at a restaurant to eat. Stay out of trouble, I'm already tired of dealing with you." he walked out the door, slamming it shut.

Damnit I'm tired of living in this hell hole! I can't do it anymore. I need to do something. I just don't know what yet. I have about 2 hours to decide what I'm going to do.

I looked out the window and saw my dad pulling out the driveway. I laid back down on my bed contemplating on what I was going to do.

I decided if I needed to get out of here, the only thing I can do is runaway. I quickly ran to Jakes room and got into his closet and searched for one of his old athletic backpacks. He has like 30 of them from sports so he won't even know it's gone. I then went back to my room and packed as many clothes as I could in the bag, but I made sure to leave room for some food.

After I packed the clothes I went to the kitchen to see if I could find any small snacks I could pack with me, of course, nothing. I'll have no choice but to go to the gas station and steal some. Hopefully the old man working there is distracted.

I managed to find an old water bottle in the cabinets. I filled with with water and went back up to my room and placed it in the backpack. I stopped for a second realizing I don't know how I'm going to get out of the house without anyone knowing.

I walked into the garage to see if I could anything. I managed to find a long rope hidden away in the back corner. I ran back up to my room and hid the backpack and rope in my room. I needed to sneak off to the gas station just down the street from here before they get back, but just incase they get back before I do it'll be hidden.

I get to the gas station and obviously the old man is back in the break room. That man wonders why he gets robbed all the time. I rolled my eyes at that thought, but I went back to looking for the stuff I needed. I quickly grabbed a few items and stuffed them in my jacket, making sure it wasn't obvious I had stuff in my jacket just in case the old man come out of the break room.

I managed to get out of the gas station without being caught. I quickly went back into the house up to my room and stuffed the snacks in my bag. They've been gone for about 3 hours now and it's dark outside. I decided to go on ahead and get showered and get into bed so I didn't make things seem suspicious.

I had to figure out a way to tie the rope on something to be able to climb out of the window, since I figured that was the best way to sneak out without making a lot of noise. I looked over at my dresser and decided that I could easily tie the end of the rope off on the leg of it and throw the rope out of the window.

I heard car doors close so I quickly turned out my lights and got into bed. I had my back turned towards the door to make it seem like I was sleeping.

A moment later I hear my bedroom door open then close. Now I just have to wait.

***

I waited for ever. I finally rolled over and looked at the clock it read 3:00 a.m., everyone must be asleep by now so it's time to take action. I turned my bedroom light on and grabbed the rope out of the closet and tied it around the leg of my dresser, I tugged on it to make sure it wouldn't come undone. I opened my window and toss the other end of the rope out. I quickly grabbed my backpack and turned my bedroom light off again. I took one last look at my room and climbed out the window.

When I hit the ground I immediately took off running. I ran for as long as I could until I felt I was far enough from the house where I could continue to walk. I was starting to get really tired, so I decided I would find somewhere to sleep.

After sometime I finally found a small park and found a park bench. I was kind of hungry so I sat down and grabbed one of the small bags of Doritos out of my bag and ate them.

Once I was done eating them I threw them away and grabbed the extra jacket I packed in my bag and folded into a pillow. I laid down on the uncomfortable metal bench and fell asleep.