05: Virtued No More ~♪

Start from the beginning

"I see." Aether's gaze was locked on the bard, as the bard himself prioritized looking away. "So I'm assuming you are one who thinks of her as untrustworthy."

"Yes." Venti jolted his head upwards again. "As you could expect, it's difficult for one to tell whether she is being sincere or not, based not only on her powers, but... she has a very cunning and mischievous personality too."

"Sounds like you two would get along perfectly!" Paimon teased, implying something to Venti. "Whatever happened between you two~? Hmm?"

Once again, the bard broke his eye contact, but this time turn his head along with his eyes. Paimon's comment definitely had some hidden meaning to it.

"Don't." He answered sharply, but a little panicky. "Don't go on imagining things. She is an enemy of the gods, that's all there is to it. That's why I don't associate with her."

"Busted."  Paimon thought to herself, ignoring Venti and coming to her own conclusions. 

"I can't wait to hear more~" The fairy grinned, still edging on the bard.

"She and I had a bit of a... falling apart in the past, so I try and avoid her at all costs. That is why I took both of you here- I noticed you had already fallen under one of her tricks and-"

"We have?" The traveler seemed genuinely baffled, probably concerned that Venti's words were correct.

"Well... I don't know how she managed to convince you this, but she is not your friend's wife."

"Erm..." Paimon stammered, welcoming a guilty expression. "About that..."

Venti shot up, showing true emotion for the first time since they had started talking. "Wait- is she... is she actually your friend's wife?"

"No, that's not it." Aether answered. "We were in on the lie. Rosaria told us that Y/N had fibbed about us, so we played along to get her away from the crowd."

"Oh."

That was all he said.

He cleared his throat.

"Anyways, all I know is that she is probably up to no good, so you should try and stay away from her." The bard had recollected himself and continued with his tales. "I don't know why or how she has suddenly appeared in Mondstadt after so many years, but it can't be good, and she is probably frustrated that some mortals like you have started to catch on because of the incident at Starsnatch Cliff." Venti smiled, trying to cheer himself up and remain a joyful friend to the traveler and the fairy. "If I were you, I'd watch your back... but remember! You can always call on me for help-"

"Venti." Suddenly, the Honorary Knight stood up. He placed his arms onto the table and leaned forward. His voice was cold. "Since the beginning of our conversation, I've noticed something odd in your words."

The accused perked up, turning pale. It seemed this pale color was seen on him quite frequently lately. "What are your concerns, dear traveler?" He smiled a friendly smile, a bead of sweat rolling down his cheek.

Aether sighed, calculating the right words to say.

"Venti, how do you know about Y/N's incident at the cliff? You weren't there and Katheryne didn't recruit you, yet you are speaking as if you know more than I do. Why is that?"

Silence. Complete silence.

Busted.

Aether's words struck Venti deep. It was obvious, for the panic in Venti's heart could've been seen by even a blind man.