Even from where I'm sitting, I can note the deep flush coloring his neck as he rages on.

"They're fighting over someone," I mumble. Could it be over Julia? From the corner of my eye, I catch Brian nodding.

"I don't think she's his girlfriend though," Brian softly says.

I squint at them and then turn to him. "What makes you say that?"

He shrugs. "They don't look like a couple."

I study them, and I don't understand on what basis Brian believes that.

A small smile cracks on my face. "We could be detectives if we wanted, you know." I bite my lip to stop myself from giggling.

He chuckles, "Yeah, we'd probably be one of the good ones too."

We grin at each other. At that moment I realize, I like his smile. It's one of those contagious types, where it brightens the person's face. I look down at my textbook, fiddling with my fingers. Not now, but maybe in the future, something can happen between the two of us.

I shake my head and return to my book, so does Brian.

Everything falls back to normal, my entire focus eventually fixates on the complicated function before me.

A shout startles Brian and me, we look at each other with wide eyes for a second before turning to the source.

And it's none other than the girl sitting across Professor Wright.

"Why!" she cries out again and the entire café goes quiet. She sniffs and Wright curls his fingers in front of his mouth, resting his chin on his thumb, planting his elbow on the armrest, his gaze bores into her.

"Why?" her voice breaks and she pulls a few napkins free from the box next to her and dabs at her tear-stained face.

People glance at each other and then back at their booth. Hushed murmurs erupt briefly before everyone returns to attend to their businesses. Except, of course, Brian and I. The fact that he's equally interested in this matter, gives me a sense of normalcy. Or perhaps an assurance of I'm not the only weird person in the room.

Wright pinches the bridge of his nose, pushes up his black-rimmed glasses. His lips move impossibly fast, his tone so down I only catch a few words, 'scene' and 'know me'.

My wild guess is, he's scolding the poor girl for making a scene. But the second part could be anything.

The girl shoots up from her seat, the hinge legs screech. I cringe as goosebumps break out over my arms and the hair at the back of my neck stands. She strides away to the bathroom, her heels clicking on the wooden floor.

Brian and I stare at each other.

"Still think she's not his girlfriend?" I quirk an eyebrow at him.

He shrugs. "He's a bit too cold for arguing over a crumbling relationship."

I glance at Professor Wright, his unmoving posture and furrowed brow, his sharp jawline appearing more prominent because of how tightly he's clenching it. Mason's voice echoes in my head. It's like... he lacks basic human emotions.

I shake my head and return to my book. Half of my mind stays with the mystery girl who went to the bathroom. I kinda feel bad for her, aside from my growing curiosity.

I write down the key points of a problem I'm working on, but just as move to ask something from Brian, I catch Wright's glowering face's reflection on the windowpane beside me.

Instantly I look away and squirm in my spot. Gulping uneasily, I pick up my coffee, bringing it to my lips, not daring to spare a glance at either side of me in fear of being caught red-handed by Wright.

Over the brim of my cup, I whisper, "Brian." The doofus remains unaware. I call his name in a stronger and sharper whisper and his gaze jumps to me. "Don't make it obvious, but the devil's watching."

His eyes widen and just as he's about to turn in Wright's direction I kick his leg, glaring at him. "I just told you not to be obvious."

"He's gonna fail us, oh fuck we're screwed." He mumbles, fidgeting with his pen.

Without thinking, I grasp his hand, warm and soft under my touch, making him freeze as I squeeze it. "Stay calm, jeez, you'll get us caught."

But he's no longer fretting over Wright but rather staring at my hand placed over his. Absently he nods and I sip to hide my smile.

His gaze lingers and then jumps to my eyes. I return my hand to my side and offer him a small smile.

Brian looks away, his cheeks tinting pink.

A quick glance at the glass ensures Wright is no longer looking at us, but he has removed his glasses and rubbing his eyes, his shoulders slumping, as though drained from every last bit of energy.

Just as I'm about to get back to my textbook, the mystery girl totters to her seat. Her face is red and puffy. I quickly look away. Through the glass I catch Wright talking slowly to the girl. She doesn't bother to look at him but he keeps going on. She wipes away a traitorous tear before skidding down her cheek. Her right fist stays atop the table and Wright awkwardly pats it.

I bite my bottom lip, but it's useless as I shake with silent laughter.

And here I thought I'm the only one who doesn't know how to comfort someone.

Brian shoots me a confused look and I wave my hand dismissively.

Clearing my throat multiple times and pressing my palms to my cheeks I manage to end my uncontrolled silent laughter.

I straighten myself to read over the problem a few times until my brain finally registers it and I get back on my studying track.

Brian and I continue with what we were doing, somewhere in between, Professor Wright and the girl leave. An hour later, we wrap up our meeting and depart from the coffee shop.

"I can drop you off if you want, my car is near the campus." Brian offers as we stand in the sidewalk.

"I'll walk, my flat is close to here."

"You sure?"

"Absolutely." I smile at him.

He glances both sides, "I can walk you to your place," he softly says.

My smile widens, "Really, it's okay. It's only a twenty minutes' walk for me. But for you, you have to come all the way and then back, it'll probably be over forty-five minutes till you reach your car."

He nods hesitantly, his eyebrows still knitted together.

"Thank you for agreeing to come," I add and his focus settles on me.

He grins and rubs the back of his neck. "I'm glad you asked my help."

We stand awkwardly for a moment not knowing what to do, or better said as how to say our byes until I wave with a smile. He chuckles waves back.

A few paces down the street, he calls out, "See you around, Stewart."

I shake my head, smiling at him, before making my way to my apartment. The smile lingers on my face longer than expected.

∞ ∞ ∞

Any thoughts on who might the mystery girl be? =)) And, do you think Gracie and Brian have chemistry together?

Anyway =)) Thank you so much for reading, don't hesitate to share your thoughts (and vote! xD)

Hope you enjoyed it.

Next update will be tomorrow.

Stay safe, lots of love, happy reading ^.^