Chapter 10

Later that evening, Zaina's mother called Tehmina and broke off the engagement, saying Zaina needed a break from this relationship.

"I'm sorry, but there is nothing like a break when it comes to relations. Either you break it or continue- nothing in between," Tehmina retorted. " Our children are not suited for each other. It's best if we just sever this alliance and move on."

Azlan had locked himself up in his room for the whole day. Sana knocked countless times, but he didn't bother replying. Even Tehmina had tried to make Azlan come out of his room to at least eat something, but he didn't open the door, even for his mother.

Azlan, on the other hand, knew he was hurting his family members by just blocking them out for even a day, but he needed this day to himself to get over Zaina. No matter how nonchalant he seemed about their relationship, the truth was he got attached to Zaina despite their relationship being "purely Platonic". He didn't know about that, but now he is imagining a future without Zaina in it; it is hard for him.

However, Azlan had been the guy who needed some alone time to collect his thoughts to handle himself, and he was doing the same this time, too. He was not blaming Zaina for taking this decision because he understood where she was coming from. But he was a little sad about the situation because Zaina and Azlan were best friends before being fiancees, and all this meant he lost his best friend.

-----------------------------

It had been over a week since all the fiasco, and Azlan had drowned himself in work to distract his mind. He would leave right at dawn and come back in the middle of the night. His family members hadn't seen him for a week and they knew nothing about how he was holding up or if he was even eating properly. This depressing and monotonous routine didn't sit well with Tehmina, and she knew exactly what she needed to do - find a girl for Azlan who was a pill of happiness and could break his steely outer.

Finally, it was Sunday, so Azlan had to stay home. When he came downstairs for breakfast, Tehmina knew this was the only time she could speak to him. She decided it was the best time to bring the topic of finding a new girl up for discussion since everyone was present and awfully quiet.

"Azlan, what have you decided about your marriage?" Tehmina broke the silence

"Mama, kuch nahi socha! at least khanei kei time to na karein yei discussion,"

"Azlan, beta, please don't tell me you'll wait for Zaina,"  Tehmina ignored what Azlan said and tried to continue the conversation.

"Mama, meine nahi karni shaadi. Baat khatam,"

"AZLAN!"
  Tehmina stood up from her chair, banged her hands on the table, and screamed at Azlan at the top of her lungs.

Everyone was visibly shocked at Tehmina's behavior because she was 'the calm one' in the family. It was the second time Azlan had seen his mother shout like this. The first time was when Azlan and Sana broke her fancy China cup.

Hearing her booming voice, Azlan placed his glass on the table and waited for her to continue because he knew he messed up big time since Tehmina had never been like this.

"Azlan, I have heard enough. I do nothing against your wishes and I've been an understanding mother, but now you are using this for your interests."  Tehmina continued in a strict and loud voice.

"Jab marzi ki shaadi karni thi tab bhi tumharei baap ko manaya tha maine. BUT THAT'S IT. I'M NOT LISTENING TO ANYONE. YOU WILL DO WHATEVER I SAY!"

After her meltdown, Tehmina went straight to her room with Sana following her to make sure her mother was okay.

Azlan, meanwhile, was sitting there, dumbfounded with his mouth agape, as no one had seen this side of her ever before.

"Azlan, I think it's best if you listen to whatever she says. Her blood pressure these days isn't normal too. I don't want you causing her any more anxiety." Ali Yousafzai told Azlan before leaving, too.

Azlan was rooted to his place for a good 5 minutes, trying to grasp the fact that his mother shouted at him. He knew he had Tehmina by acting laid-back about this. He went straight to his mother's room. Tehmina had tears in her eyes and his father was trying to console her.

After seeing Azlan in the room, "Azlan, this is not the right time" Ali mumbled.

Azlan, however, ignored his remark completely and held Tehmina's gaze with soft puppy eyes, and walked over to kneel and hold her hands.

"Amma, I'm sorry. I know I have hurt you, big time! But you know, try to understand my place too. I needed time and space to make sense of what happened."

"Azlan, would you do one thing if I asked?" Tehmina knew it was the best time to ask this question since she was sure Azlan would never touch upon this topic again.

"Anything. I would do anything you'd say."

"Marry Haya."

Tehmina's hand slipped from his hold. Azlan was numb for a second. What Tehmina was asking of him was too shocking and abrupt, and something that would require him to give up the memories of Zaina that he had been holding onto all this week.

But his heart knew that Tehmina never demanded something irrational from him. She wasn't like those desi mothers who would give up their children's happiness just for the sake of their ego and status in society. Whenever she asked for something, there was wisdom behind it and quite a valid explanation. However, there was only one thing going on in his mind - 'Haya's a stranger'

"But, forget love, I don't even know her,"

"Azlan, I know it's something huge I'm demanding from you, but deikho, as your mother, I know that girl is the best for you. Uski education deikho, her elegance, her innocence. Dare I say, she carries herself even better than you do yourself. Please give her a chance merei kehnei per,"

Azlan immediately shot up and was almost in the middle of the room when Tehmina asked in a steady voice, "Mei haan samjhoon, Azlan?"

"Jee,"  came Azlan's meek and small voice.

Tehmina was glad that Azlan required a little effort from her, but she knew now an even bigger test awaited her - convincing Haya.

...........................................

~New chapters coming soon <3~