Return of the blonde

"Ellie! Rosie! Come have some breakfast!" Carina yelled to her daughters who were in their playroom. The blue eyed girls came scurrying out of the playroom to sit at the table. "I thought Mommy was doing your hair," Carina said to the girls with messy hair as she handed them their bowls of cereal and put a plate of fruit between them.

"I was trying but they wouldn't sit still because it apparently doesn't look good when I do it," Maya said as she entered the kitchen while buttoning up her last few buttons.

"Girls, I told you that mommy had to do it because we're running late," Carina said in slight annoyance.

"Please can you do the braids, Mama," Rosie pleaded.

"Yeah, please Mama," Ellie followed.
"I'll have to do it while you eat, let me find a hairbrush," Carina compromised. The twins had to go to work with Carina today and spend the day in the daycare because both women were working and the fire station is not an appropriate place for five year olds.

Fifteen minutes later, Carina had braided both girl's hair and packed them a lunch box; Maya had packed their backpacks with books and toys, laid out their shoes and then left for work.
"Girls, I don't mean to rush you but we need to go in two minutes," Carina said to the girls as they shovelled the last few spoons of cereal in their mouths.
"Mommy put your shoes by the door, can you put them on please," Carina said as she rushed around the kitchen trying to tidy up. The girls obediently put on their shoes and picked up their backpacks. Carina looked over to the door and saw the girls ready to go, "Oh my goodness, aren't you just the best little girls. Thank you for getting yourselves ready, my loves," Carina said sweetly to the twins and then directed them out to the car.

Once in the car, Carina finally felt like she could talk to the girls in the back.

"Mama?" Rosie said while pulling toys out of her backpack.

"Please put the stuff back in your bag, Rosie." Carina said when she noticed her daughter in the rear view mirror. "But yes my love, what was your question?"

"Why are we not at school?" Rosie asked innocently.

"Because it's summer. You don't have to go to school in summer break, so you spend the whole time with me and Mommy." Carina said while occasionally glancing at the twins in the back.

"When do we go back?" Ellie asked, joining the conversation.

"In eight weeks, so a really long time." Carina replied. "But we are going on vacation at the end of summer break."

"Woah, really?" Rosie asked in excitement.

"We already knew that, Rosie," Ellie said sassily.

"Ellie. No need for the sass, thank you," Carina said in response to the small girl's comment.

When they pulled up in the hospital parking lot, Carina got out of the car and headed to one back door to help Ellie out and then rounded the car to get Rosie. She held one of their hands in each of hers and led them into the hospital. When they got to the daycare, Carina crouched down in front of the twins to say goodbye before going to work.

"Okay, so there's lots of tiny little kids so be careful because you're getting big now, you don't want to knock anyone over. Make sure you're polite and kind, there's lots of toys and books in your backpacks, but please don't lose anything. And lastly, there's a lunchbox in each of your backpacks but I thought I could come and get you for lunch and we can eat together. Does that all sound okay?" Carina felt bad for bombarding her children with rules and arrangements but they seemed to take it in alright.

"Yes mama." The girls said in unison.

"I love you," Carina pulled the two girls in for a hug, kissed their noses and then sent them into the daycare and waved to them as she walked away.