thirty eight

hello 🤗 i've been concentrating on my new book for a while - which should hopefully be available to u soon :) but i'm back yas

✩︎

HARRY

Light dances through the windows and warms my skin, gently pulling me from my dreams and to consciousness. Unwittingly, my arm tightens around Hana's waist as I move to stretch.

She stayed.

Or, more like, she stayed true to her word and left shortly after I had fallen asleep, not having the heart to crush me before I'd barely woken and replacing her body with a pillow stuffed beneath my arm.

I exhale tersely, half wishing she hadn't left whilst understanding her reasoning, and don't bother to open my eyes before pulling the pillow closer into my chest and pretending it's really her. The air still carries her scent and I allow myself to submerge in it, casting my mind back to a much simpler time before all of this mess.

My lips pressing gently to her skin, coaxing her to consciousness. My arm tightening around her waist and my nose burrowing into her hair. If I concentrate hard enough, I can almost hear the same sweet laugh I miss more than I've been able to admit in the past few years, and the tired whispers of my name that fell from her mouth. My own mouth moves to trace the single word I recall from that moment, a barely audible murmur of cherry hitting me along with a realisation that I was far from ready for our relationship to end. Not in such a brutal way, at least.

✩︎

"Harry! It's like, ten in the morning."

"No, it's not."

"Fine, it's nine. But you need to wake up and eat something." My eyes don't have to open to know Hana's stood with one hand on her hip and the other waving a plate of pancakes beneath my nose.

"I can't be bought with food."

She sighs wearily, exaggerating remorse as she trudges back into the kitchen, "well, I guess I'll have to throw away this perfectly good breakfast—"

I'm barely sat up, leant mostly against one arm and with still-sealed eyes, but I still roll them beneath my eyelids at her stubbornness, "wait!" I hear her footsteps pause abruptly and my head tilts to one side as my eyes finally open slightly, "have you eaten?"

"Nope!"

Of course, she hasn't. How convenient for her.

With dread and irritation in every movement, I finally peel back the cover and slip out of bed, figuring she doesn't really care at this point about my messy hair or lack of a shirt, considering we've been forced together for the past week. I lean against the bedroom doorway, squinting in her direction, where she stands with a knowing grin plastered all over her expression.

"If I eat, will you?"

"Sure," she shrugs as if that wasn't her plan at all and sets down the plate on the table, gesturing for me to sit whilst she retrieves a second fork and claims the seat next to mine. She steals the first bite, taking a chunk of each pancake in the stack like any American would, whilst I pluck the very top one and eat that to myself. "You doing okay?"

Air escapes my nose, a half-sigh that follows each time she inquires this, "I'm better."

"Really?"

"I think so."

For some reason, I can't bring myself to look at her expression, but I can hear her slight smile in her tone. "Good, Harry. You deserve to be happy," she comments, casually taking another bite and I hope the shine of my irises isn't noticeable. "I think I'm gonna go out today."