Dancing

(a fluffy short oneshot to make up for the angsty ending on the Aftermath chapter. Plus goodnight I have shitty school and J don't want to go 🥺

Sam could do anything and everything. Except a dance. He could move his feet around like most people can plus, his coordination is terrible. Which is slightly terrifying considering the job he has needs hand and eye coordination.

Sam sits alone at the bar, watching people dance to the melody that plays in the background. He was lonely, plus who would want to dance with him anyways? "How come you aren't out there dancing?" A voice asks and Sam jumps in shock, his brown eyes snapping to crystal blue eyes before looking down at the bottom of his glass.

"It's stupid." He murmurs, holding up a finger to order another drink. "Nothing that comes from you is stupid... Well, most of the time anyways." Bucky chuckles along with Sam. "I can't dance." Bucky thinks for a moment, watching the way Sam's apple bobs up and down as he drinks the alcohol. "I'll teach you!" Sam looks over at Bucky with a confused expression. "No, it's okay. I don't want to danc-" A small cry escapes Sam as he gets yanked on the dancefloor, the song changing as if on cue...

He blushes when one trails to Sam's waist and his right hand being held softly but firmly in Bucky's hand.

"Then, you put your hand my shoulder, here." He says and Sam laughs. "Stop, this is stupid..." Bucky smiles and Sam's breath is stolen from his lungs as he stares at the masterpiece in adoration. He and Bucky have come a long way, considering they met on really shitty terms... Now look at them, dancing to together like a married couple.

Not that Sam was complaining, Sam's always wanted to be closer. Always wanted to be hugged or affectionately held, whether it be entwining their fingers together or to even a simple graze on his cheek.

Sam ungraciously stepped on Bucky's foot, Bucky grunting at the pain. Immediately Sam tries to pull away but Bucky had snakes his arm around the man's waist. "It's fine, Sam. I danced with Steve."

Sam laughs, resting his head on Bucky's shoulder as they swayed to the beat. "See, you're getting the hang of this already!" Bucky encourages, a proud smile adorning his face.

Sam could get used to this, dancing with the man he secretly adores. He won't tell Bucky that though. He's too scared of what he might thing, considering he is from the 40s(?) and being anything other than straight was deemed a disease... Well, he didn't want to ruin the friend Sam had finally built. After months and months of tearing down the walls of trauma, he finally got through to him and he didn't want his silly little crush to get the better of him and ruin their friendship-

"What are you thinking?" Bucky asks inquisitively, a calculating gaze etching on his face. Sam has to stop himself from blushing when his eyes lock with Bucky's in a trance. This always happens though, he can see Bucky and instantly a smile would go on his face, a swarm of butterflies erupting in his stomach as Bucky smirks. His heart beat fast against his chest and for a moment, Sam was worried it would escape.

"Nothing too important, I guess."

Bucky dips the man, Sam yelping at the sudden movement. "Nothing unimportant, Sam. What's with you? You've been doubting yourself. Something I've never seen."

Red flag red flag red flag red flag RED FLAG

Sam inhales sharply, feeling his body tense. "I'm fine." He lied, suddenly wanting to be left alone.

He can hear his partner sigh before he's being led outside, the cold bitter air waking him up.

"Sam, you okay?" The winged Avenger looks at his partner, nodded his head with a forced smile. Bucky wasn't blind. He could see right through.

Sam was suffocating with his thoughts.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks softly, his stormy blue eyes drinking everything in; from his slumped shoulder to the tired eyes that stare up at him.

"I uh, I feel guilty." He mumbles, looking down in shame. It hurts Bucky to see him like this. To see Sam so devoid of that buzzing energy that seemed endless, he sometimes had a hard time keeping up.

"For what, Sam?"

Bucky's patient, the sound of crickets hitting his ears and the stars twinkling above the night sky.

"For uh, being happy."

Bucky steps closer, grasping his partner's face in his hands and gently cradles him, even more gently wiping a stray tear.

"You tired, Sam?" Bucky asks, this foreign feeling thumping through his veins like an adrenaline rush.

He keeps track of how Sam's pupils dilated, almost covering the whole of his iris. ,The way Sam relaxed into his touch.

"Jus' everything." He murmurs, resting his head in the crook of Bucky's neck. He wraps his arms around the man tighter. "You've been pushing yourself too much, Sam. You need to give yourself a break."

"Hypocrite." He grumbles, inhaling his scent before sighing in content. Bucky's chest rumbled with laughter.

"Alright, sleepy head. Let's get you home."

"You'll stay, right?"

"What, you getting cold feet?"

"Keep dreaming." Sam scoffs before breaking out into laugh.